Identify this behaviour ....

JustAWhiteCap

Mar 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Odie aka "Little Monster"
Hi friends... Wondering if you can help me figure out why my pionus is displaying this kind of behaviour. Petey has a medium size hard rubber red ball that used to make noises and light up after you hit it. He would go crazy when he would hear the noises and fluff up his feather and call out to it maybe once or twice. He likes to peck at the ball a lot and act like he is trying to feed it and sometimes even regurgitates for it. There is also times when he try's to sit of mount the ball while making a soft purring or cooing sound. He gets very upset when you remove his ball and when it did make noise and I was in the other room with it, Petey would fly to where ever I was with the ball.
What kind of behaviour is this? Is Petey really a female hen and not a male? Or is this just a display of a bird wanting to mate? I would appreciate everyone's thought on this and let me know if I need to interact on this ??? Thanks:)

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
I am not an expert but it sounds like it might be trying to mate with it. Unless its had an egg cycle id say its male. Not to mention its on top acting like a male. regurgitation shows hes ready for fatherhood. But mind you I am no expert. The lighting up if it still dose that could cause problems depending on the frequency perhaps. I hope more experienced parrot owners chime in.
Edit: I would personally permanently remove that ball so he would forget about it eventually. For it might be using the toy as a pleasure toy. If mind serves me right these types of toys should be removed.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts