I'm a new conure mom!

mishykinz

Jan 18, 2011
MD
Parrots
Blue pacific parrotlet (male) - Bb.
Pineapple Green-cheek conure (female) - Tali.
I've been looking into getting another bird, a green cheek conure specifically, but I haven't been actively looking since I am moving in a week. However I was at pet store an hour away from me because I needed to look for a new fish tank stand and what do I see but an absolutely BEAUTIFUL little pineapple green cheek conure. So of course I had to go up to her, and she is the cutest thing! As soon as I walked up she came up to the front of the cage and was rolling over and lifting her foot to be picked up. I asked the lady if I could see her and what can I say, I just fell in love. She's already fully vetted too, hatch date was 10/31/10. I pick her up next weekend! My boyfriend and I have already decided on "Tali" for a name.

I do have a cage ready, but I was wondering what toys conures are most fond of. My parrotlet LOVES shredding toys, like pinatas, so I was wondering if conures would enjoy the same. Also, should I feed her the same food as him? Currently I feed him Harrison's adult lifetime fine and Higgin's cockatiel seed and I want to transition her to those, unless she needs something else.

Thanks guys! I'm so excited. :orange:

Last edited:

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
A conure! Fun! Don't forget to quarantine.

My conure loves toys he can shred and loves to attack bells. He is currently into a balsa wood toy that he is slowly destroying but he also likes a giant coconut thing, these large circles of a sort of compressed paper, bamboo shredders and plastic toys he can manipulate and dunk in his water. He also loves to chew and destroy paper. So far, he has liked every toy I've given him even if it takes a week or two to warm up to it. I also have some foraging toys for him. One is his enemy so he hasn't looked inside yet and the other is a little wooden cup with a lid on a chain that he checks religiously when he gets into his cage. He loves loves loves almonds so he gets little bits as treats and as rewards throughout the day.

He eats Harrison's fine but no seeds other than millet on occasion as treats. They should have lots of veggies and some fruits as well as beans, eggs etc for protein (pretty much the same as your parrotlet). Mine is not used to veggies so its taking awhile to get him used to them but his faves are red/orange/yellow peppers. He is starting to eat shredded carrots, corn and broccoli. I have him on Harrison's high potency fine pellets so they can probably eat the same.

Have fun with your new guy! They are fun!

OP
mishykinz

mishykinz

Jan 18, 2011
MD
Parrots
Blue pacific parrotlet (male) - Bb.
Pineapple Green-cheek conure (female) - Tali.
Thanks a bunch. Just got all the toys and perches today: rope perch, a cement perch, 2 wood perches (1 has shreddable bark), a hanging coconut toy, a pinata, and a bird kabob swing. Will be getting more once we bring her home. And I've just started Bb on veggies and fruits (didn't take much encouragement, he loves it) and will be doing the same for her. :)

Most Reactions