I'm a tiny desk-top bird too!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
If Leo gets to stay on your desk all day, I should be able to as well! Will it work if I get on his perch?

Edited because my copy-paste skills apparently suck.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
How cute, Charlotte is just trying to fit in :D. ...and what does Leo have to say about that?!

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Leo was not happy, to say the least. That's his perch, thank you very much! We went the forgiveness through fruit route again and everybody is happy. Amazing what half a grape does for his disposition.

And I finally have all the cages and perches clean again. I swear I get those clean and blink and they're dirty again. I was working on that what Charlotte decided to try out the desk top perch. It's a tad bit too small for her.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
When I owned a military macaw..she used to do the same thing...where ever the Quaker was allowed to go,then so was she..nowadays sissy just likes to sit with me...no matter who already is on my lap...lol...nice photo btw!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
If Leo gets to stay on your desk all day, I should be able to as well! Will it work if I get on his perch?

That is parrot logic.

Like when the RB thinks he shouldn't have to go to the cage if he flies to my ol'man's Lazyboy, whether or not my ol' man is in it or not. Husband stays out? Parrot stays out. Problem?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Charlotte totally isn't in the way or anything :)

She looks really happy BTW. Looks like she is settling into her new home well!

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Thanks. She's doing so much better and so much faster than I ever dared hope. She's currently chilling on my knee while I surf the web, after practically throwing her self at me when I took a step toward her play perch a few minutes ago. So much for that "no touch" policy I'd heard about. We've got some issues still with learning the house rules (typical parrot stuff), and of course the plucking issue, but the rest of it is going really, really well.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
So this is the bird with the "no touch" policy, who's discovered that getting head scritches is a very good thing. (And once again, forgive the mess in the background...it's a big house and I'm still not done putting things back together...I keep getting distracted by birds).

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
So this is the bird with the "no touch" policy, who's discovered that getting head scritches is a very good thing. (And once again, forgive the mess in the background...it's a big house and I'm still not done putting things back together...I keep getting distracted by birds).

complete bliss on that "don't touch me!" face.. :rolleyes:

Jim

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots

Jim

Actually, the scritches breakthrough happened yesterday. After she wore herself out with temper tantrums (she wanted to wreak havoc on the house, I said no, so there was a whole lot of time outs involved), she was sitting on my knee exhausted, gnawing on stick in her beak. I took advantage of the calm to reach out and try to touch her again, and that time she let me. She got a little nervous at first and then it was like a lightbulb went off for her, that that sort of thing actually feels good, so I kept scratching her head, and she wound up falling asleep on my knee. This morning I tried again (that's what the picture is from), and there was no hesitation on her part.

I still think that her previous humans did love her and did their best with her, but they had just gotten locked into this cycle of fear from when she really was an extremely aggressive bird when they first rescued her. I think in her time with them, she learned that humans could be gentle and loving, but by the time she figured that out, they were afraid of her to an extent, so the cycle continued. But what they did do was make it really easy for me and MrC to go the rest of the way in rehabbing her. From the first night we've had her we thought that she really wanted human interaction, but was slightly afraid and just didn't know how. That's a whole lot easier to deal with than how she was when she was first rescued from that garage sale a few years ago. I have to give the people we got her from a huge amount of credit in putting her in a mind set for us to be able to do what we've done.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

Jim

Actually, the scritches breakthrough happened yesterday. After she wore herself out with temper tantrums (she wanted to wreak havoc on the house, I said no, so there was a whole lot of time outs involved), she was sitting on my knee exhausted, gnawing on stick in her beak. I took advantage of the calm to reach out and try to touch her again, and that time she let me. She got a little nervous at first and then it was like a lightbulb went off for her, that that sort of thing actually feels good, so I kept scratching her head, and she wound up falling asleep on my knee. This morning I tried again (that's what the picture is from), and there was no hesitation on her part.

I still think that her previous humans did love her and did their best with her, but they had just gotten locked into this cycle of fear from when she really was an extremely aggressive bird when they first rescued her. I think in her time with them, she learned that humans could be gentle and loving, but by the time she figured that out, they were afraid of her to an extent, so the cycle continued. But what they did do was make it really easy for me and MrC to go the rest of the way in rehabbing her. From the first night we've had her we thought that she really wanted human interaction, but was slightly afraid and just didn't know how. That's a whole lot easier to deal with than how she was when she was first rescued from that garage sale a few years ago. I have to give the people we got her from a huge amount of credit in putting her in a mind set for us to be able to do what we've done.

Well done, you are doing a fantastic job with Charlotte. Ah that's really good of you to acknowledge her previous owners played a part ie were step one for you to go onto step 2. Do they read the forums? :)

Last edited:
OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
I don't think they do, but I still like to give credit where it is due. To be honest, they probably did all the hard work. We get the fun stuff.

Most Reactions

Latest posts