I'm at the end of my rope here...........

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Mike, was Mac ever a fully feathered bird in his previous home? Or was he the same way, even with his former owner's great care? That would be interesting to know.

I don't think you can go "overboard" on fruits, btw. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: eclectus parrots are primarily frugivores. Their beaks were "designed" to peel the skin from fruits. I feed my parrots 4-5 different fruits everyday. You just want to make sure they also get some veggies, especially for Vit A, like carrot and sweet potato. Fruits DO have nutrients, they are not JUST sugar.

If you do decide to feed Mac tofu per Sodakat's suggestion then make sure it is non-GMO because most soy is genetically modified now. GMO soy is not going to help the cause. They do sell sprouted tofu in the stores too, so I would recommend that.

The only thing that seems to be missing in your description of Mac's life is the outdoors. Maybe you can roll his cage outside for a few hours everyday or something? Try that out. It must be odd for a wild bird to be inside a human home all day, even he does have the run of the house, so to speak. I try to have my birds spend as much time as possible in their aviary. Eclectus, by nature, do rather well independently for periods of time, and I feel it also trains them not to *need* to be around me 24/7.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
It totally seems like an emotional thing. He probably thinks she's going to take him back and leave him in is cage for ever! I would just make sure he knows you love him and wont give him back! And I am not trying to talk bad about the first owner, she didn't have time because she's mourning for her loss! I feel terrible for her!

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Mac gets a minimum of 15-30 minutes of sun per day. I usually place him outside in his travel cage. But in Florida at this time of year, it can be in the 90's even in the mornings so I have to monitor him to make sure he doesn't over heat.

Yes, he actually was full feathered at some point while with the previous owners. They had a large screened enclosure around their pool. The wife would toss Mac in the air while the husband was on the other side of the pool and would yell Home Mac Home Mac and have Mac land on his forearm. She said they did this quite often. They never had his wings clipped. I haven't had his wings clipped either because the bird groomer said from the time we got him that his wings were like LACE and she didn't feel comfortable clipping him because he might hurt himself if he fell.

The vet who claimed "most people feed birds too much fruit" is a regular vet/avian vet and most likely had only seen a few if any other Eclectus parrots. So I informed him that Eclectus were different in their diets and required more fruit than usual.

Mike, was Mac ever a fully feathered bird in his previous home? Or was he the same way, even with his former owner's great care? That would be interesting to know.

I don't think you can go "overboard" on fruits, btw. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: eclectus parrots are primarily frugivores. Their beaks were "designed" to peel the skin from fruits. I feed my parrots 4-5 different fruits everyday. You just want to make sure they also get some veggies, especially for Vit A, like carrot and sweet potato. Fruits DO have nutrients, they are not JUST sugar.

If you do decide to feed Mac tofu per Sodakat's suggestion then make sure it is non-GMO because most soy is genetically modified now. GMO soy is not going to help the cause. They do sell sprouted tofu in the stores too, so I would recommend that.

The only thing that seems to be missing in your description of Mac's life is the outdoors. Maybe you can roll his cage outside for a few hours everyday or something? Try that out. It must be odd for a wild bird to be inside a human home all day, even he does have the run of the house, so to speak. I try to have my birds spend as much time as possible in their aviary. Eclectus, by nature, do rather well independently for periods of time, and I feel it also trains them not to *need* to be around me 24/7.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Be VERY careful with that bird bath spray. Not long ago there was a report of an Eclectus who was sprayed with that stuff and the bird inhaled it with bad results. Their air sacs are NOT like our lungs. This bird had difficulty breathing for quite a while. I learned about him when an eclectus expert posted the warning about the sprays.

If you notice the bottle says it contains preen oil. Really? Where they heck do they get that? I'm sorry but I don't believe it.

Preen glad oil is secreted in such small amounts, how could they obtain it and package it?

When birds preen they spread the oil from their preen gland on their feathers, then when the sun hits those feathers Vit D3 is produced which the bird ingests the next time it preens. I would offer a link to prove this but this forum has made it against the rules to provide a link without getting permission from a mod and I don't care to mess with that procedure. You can google "parrot preen gland d3 precursor" and choose the second link that appears to read more.

I think plain water is the only thing you should every spray on a bird.

I'm pretty sure that there is a post on this forum about a lovebird who died after being sprayed with the same type product (the bird inhaled the droplets I think). The owner also has an eclectus and I read her report on an eclectus list too. Here is the post: http://www.parrotforums.com/lovebirds/28068-bird-product-killed-my-bird.html

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Personally the only spray I'd trust is an HealX/AVIx one.

Either "Rain" or "Soother"

Rain being made up of: (Distilled water, pure aloe vera distillate, wetting agent (0.0001%))
Soother being made up of : (Distilled water, pure aloe vera distillate and a patented quaternary ammonium solution for analgesia).

I think "Rain" was mentioned by someone else on one of the threads that Sodakat linked.
All ingredients are there and does what it says on the tin. No fancy chemicals or anything like that. It does say to 'avoid eyes' on the Soothing one. But says nothing about "do not have near food" etc. I'd be dubious about something that doesn't list it's ingredients too.

The one you have Mickey, says this:
"Ingredients: Purified Water, PPG-33 Buteth-45, Cetearyloctanoate (Purcellin Oil), Isopropyl Myristate, Benzalkonium Chloride, PEG-75, Lanolin Fragrance, Vitamins A, D, and E, Wheat Germ Oil, Quantree, Aloe, and Botanically Derived Essence.

Note: For external bird use only. Do not spray in eyes or nares. Do not spray sick birds. Keep birds out of cold, drafty areas during and after misting."

Personally, Harrissons/HealX (AVIx) are one of the few products I actually trust because they're straight forward with what they do, their info is easily accessible and their products "make sense" too!

I understand that birds have "everything they need in the wild" and "manage just fine" etcetc. But they're not IN the wild anymore - they're around our pollutants, our household and don't get exactly what they should get in the wild. Miles of flight daily included. So I don't think it's wrong to give them some help when needed.

As long as it's organic and safe! :21:

Turned out to be a long rambly, ranty post! Sorry!

I think Mac would benefit more (if we're going for the misting option) of an AviX product. There are probably more out there that are just as good, but that's the ones I know.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I will not be using any more of the Bird Bath either. I don't think he likes it much. Here is a video and a picture of Mac shortly after we got him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqvnhEvM8E"]Macky looking for me - YouTube[/ame]

as you can see, he still had quite a few feathers on his belly area, but had been over-preening them as well. This was just before the previous owners first visit. It went down hill from there after he was starting to show some improvement.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 520
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 416

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I will not be using any more of the Bird Bath either. I don't think he likes it much. Here is a video and a picture of Mac shortly after we got him.

Macky looking for me - YouTube

as you can see, he still had quite a few feathers on his belly area, but had been over-preening them as well. This was just before the previous owners first visit. It went down hill from there after he was starting to show some improvement.

Well I don't know what to suggest other than what everyone else has already said. Keep trying with him though. Love the video of him running over to you. He looks determined to get to you, all "HEY! There you are! How dare you leave me!" and the pitter patter is just adorable. :)

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Have you given any thoughts to soft collars? If it is psychological, him not being able to indulge his habit for a while might break the cycle, especially if the catalyst is his last owner and you've severed contact.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
I think visits by prior owner should be nixed. Period. But the problem could also be hormonal (sexual frustration). Ekkies have the longest breeding season of all psittacines (up to 9 months, sometimes) and are highly reactive to high protein and low fiber so pellets are not good for them (pellets manufacturers usually use psyllium, a fiber source that works great with mammals but does zilch for birds) so I would make sure he is getting a diet low in protein and very high in natural fiber (fruits, fruits, fruits).

The other trigger in captivity is the number of daylight hours so keeping them to a strict solar schedule with full exposure to twilight is essential.

Then you have light quality which influences birds moods A LOT. A good quality (CRI over 94 and Ktemp closest to 5500 but, if you can't find it, go for lower rather than higher because blue light brings them to breeding condition) full spectrum light with UVA AND B output is best (it helps them produce serotonin, the happy hormone). Another help with serotonin is feeding them oats which are rich in tryptophan, an amino acid necessary for serotonin production, storage AND release.

As to baths, plain cold water with a small splash of organic aloe vera juice (not gel) do wonders for them.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Thoughtful post, Pajarita. My one concern is regarding controlling light. First, let me say that I keep my birds in an unlit sunroom so they are completely subject to solar lighting only including dusk and dawn. But most discussions regarding "hormones" seem to suggest that people withhold light from "hormonal" birds, forcing them into long periods of darkness or at least 50/50. I've found that the most difficult time of year for my Eclectus who exhibit feather destructive behavior is the time of year when there is more darkness than daylight.

I so appreciate both you and Chikoo reinforcing that Eclectus need fruits and are indeed built to eat fruits.

Regarding the previous owners' visits, I might be the only one who disagrees with stopping the visits. I think birds can learn to love lots of people. Yes, the visits have upset Mac apparently, but maybe the visits could turn into something more. Even overnight stays where he went with them for a day, or phone calls. Something to show him his past life didn't completely end.

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Another aspect of light and hormones is the fact that eclectus parrots will breed year-round, making the issue of light almost irrelevant to their hormonal states.

I also can backup sodakat's observation that during times when there is more light, my plucking female has been more feathered (though she know seems fully feathered and may have outgrown the habit).

Most Reactions