I'm at the end of my rope with the squawking!!!

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.
Also, we have these "perch stations" in different rooms. There is a natural wood perch my son keeps in his room when he takes the bird upstairs. Then we have a perch we carry to the bathroom when I take shower (Remi likes to hang out there with me), then a perch where the main computer is etc.
It is a bit of work hauling the perch with us, but it allows Remi to be with us more, rather than sitting on top of his cage and waiting when we have time for him. This way, he is involved in our daily activities. And then there is always riding on the shoulder, lol. Vacuuming, brushing teeth, folding laundry etc.
Not everyone likes that, but it works for me.

+1

That's exactly how we've integrated Pico into our lives.
Clearly he loves just being with his flock, wherever we "fly" to in the house.
Since his wings are clipped we have to transport him.

Of course nobody really knows for sure what any animal is thinking but I reason that when alone it's not so much that they get lonely, they get scared, nervous, upset, and terrified when their calls do not result in reunification.
It may even feel like they are intentionally being rejected by their flock.

With all those eyes and ears looking out for danger the flock is their security.
IMO when alone but still able to hear their flock is somewhere in the house but they can't get to it, there must be a deep unconscious survival instinct that kicks in.

Last edited:

RemiBird

Feb 26, 2019
It reminds me of my old dog when we first got him from an animal shelter.
I had not much experience as a dog owner, so I thought that dogs should sleep in their own little doggy bed in the living room. After a considerable amount of whining when being left alone in the living room and we all went to sleep, we let the dog sleep right next to our bed. And most of the time, on the bed, lol. He was content then.
He just needed to be with his pack.

TheAlexian

Aug 21, 2018
Parrots
2 parakeets, 1 green cheek conure
You've gotten some great suggestions, but one I haven't seen is to encourage her to substitute a less annoying sound for the squawking/screaming. I taught my GCC to whistle to get my attention instead of screaming. First I taught him to whistle, and then I systematically ignored other sounds, but rewarded whistling. We make it a game. He whistles at me, I whistle back. He mostly talks and whistles at me now instead of screaming.

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
You've gotten some great suggestions, but one I haven't seen is to encourage her to substitute a less annoying sound for the squawking/screaming. I taught my GCC to whistle to get my attention instead of screaming. First I taught him to whistle, and then I systematically ignored other sounds, but rewarded whistling. We make it a game. He whistles at me, I whistle back. He mostly talks and whistles at me now instead of screaming.

Good idea.
I'm gonna try that.

Thanks.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I used timeouts with Skittles and they worked wonderfully. Skittles is free-flighted and goes absolutely bonkers if he can't "see" me or be near me. So I used that as a boundary lesson. He came to understand that 'behaving' meant being out and about and hanging out with daddy and being near daddy. But acting up and not behaving meant timeouts in a 'timeout cage' in another room in the dark for 3-5 minutes. Some people told me they thought it was cruel to put him in a tiny cage and put him in a dark room, but I don't agree. Not when its just for a short period. As soon as he quieted down, I would let him back out. RARELY did I even need to leave him in for five minutes.

Back when he became a 'hellion' (which was because I failed to properly establish boundaries and limits) I bought a 'timeout' cage and used it. I had to use it several times a day just about every day for almost a year. Needless to say, I no longer have that timeout cage. I got rid of it cause I no longer need to use it. When he misbehaves now, I just put him in his day cage and cover him up and he quiets right down. That didn't work before, it does now. Thats why I had the timeout cage back then and don't need it now.

I've seen people lock their kids in closets so I don't buy that what I did with Skittles was cruel. To me, rehoming him would be cruel because he would never have the 'freedom' he has with me. The fact that my training methods succeeded and turned him completely around says to me that what I did works. At least it did in my situation.

Last edited:

RemiBird

Feb 26, 2019
Time outs work great for us.
My younger dog, when he gets all hyper and barky and just simply misbehaves he goes to his time out spot, which is a corner in the living room with a baby gate. That gives him a few minutes to defuse his energy and calm down.
If Remi, my conure, bites and gets angry because I won't let him have something, he goes back on his perch to defuse his energy. Once he is calm again, he can come on my shoulder and share whatever he is allowed to have. And usually he is just fine after that.
They learn fast.

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
+1 on timeouts working. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts