I'm back with Leo and Beaker stories

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker- 6 year old cockatiel
Leonardo da Birdie- 11 year old cockatiel
After my hedgehog died, I took a bit of a break from pet forums since I've been dealing with a myriad of mental health disorders and was at the brink of having to check myself into an inpatient program. Moyo left me at the worst time. I'm still very sad, and I miss him, but I'm getting there. I have a baby hedgehog reserved for February, but I may cancel that in hopes to add another flock member next year (I've been eyeing and researching lorys since before I was on this website...so maybe?). I'm still deciding but not forcing anything. Moyo is irreplaceable, but I frankly do not do well if I am not surrounded by animals. Though I'm not getting any more until my mental health issues are in control.

Leo and Beaker are doing phenomenally. I think they initially took a few steps back after Moyo because I was very heartbroken. They definitely noticed. Beaker hasn't let me pet him for a few days, and is still flying away from me. I might take their bookshelf that they like sitting on away because they will sit on it and run away and bite at us if we try grabbing them. Leo makes more bounds if he has individual time, and one night really just wanted to spend time with me. He flew to his perch a few times, and then reconsidered and asked for more scritiches. It is funny because at first, Beaker was more well-behaved than Leo. Now we have a complete reversal and Beaker keeps testing his boundaries. Leoleo I have no problems with. Beaker reallllyyy loves his mirror. And I actually had to take it away because he will refuse to step up if it is nearby. He also gets mad if I do my stern "no" voice. But because of everything going on lately, I do feel bad that I haven't had the time or emotional stamina to do everything with them that I have been planning to do, but I have a week off next week, so I am going to try to work with them more. They are loved and they are improving, so I am doing something right. :grey::grey:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm glad you're back, we missed you.
My flock really feels my emotions, and sometimes it takes awhile after I feel better for them to feel better. I have no doubt that you will make up the ground you lost in no time:)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes me too, very glad you are back.

Enjoy your week off, make sure you treat yourself to something nice, you definitely deserve one. It will do you good and Leo and Beaker too. Oh one thing do let us know what it is you did, please?

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
My main focus is making sure they come out every day. :) And I give them both love every night, and at least sit near them and crochet or read. Leo does better separate from Beaker. The second cage fell through (both rides broke down so I have no way to transport it -.-), but I am going to get a cage this weekend at Petco (I thoroughly scanned them, and one is big enough and fits my budget), because it is the best I can do.

I may make the second bedroom into the bird room/office. The rabbit is already in there, and it was where Moyo's cage was. I'm pre-nesting for another pet, probably a fid. So that would give me more room to work with them individually. They have liked being in there when I am in there, and they are much calmer. So I'm slowly getting them used to the room before I transition them.

They also like shower time. :D Last night, it took a bit of convincing to get them in, but once they are in, they don't want out. It takes convincing to get them off of their bookshelf is probably a better way of putting it. Beaker likes peekaboo with the mirror too.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome back, you were missed! Enjoy your week with the beaks and please do something nice for yourself. I'm sure Leo and Beaker will love the extra time with you.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Leo spent an hour last night begging for scratches. Beaker has still been standoffish (and apparently took up biting, but working on that. He got territorial over the bookshelf, so it may get moved this weekend.), but he lets me pet him between the bars of the cage. But it is amazing that Leo came home at first afraid of hands and now he's very lovey. I will have fun this week with them.

Today is my last day at my temp position, and my boyfriend agreed to go to a local bird store to celebrate after I get off. :D -happy dance- (it takes about an hour to get there from the train. It's in a weird location, but I've wanted to visit for weeks and I didn't want to go alone.)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back