I'm considering getting a pigeon for a pet. (feedback wanted:))

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
I was watching J.K's studio's "freelancers" and Owen asked if anyone knew a carrier pigeon or hawk that could smell hot blonds. That got me thinking about pigeons and fun fact, pigeons have been domesticated for 2000 years! I looked up the prices and with Christmas coming around,I thought "Hey a pigeon sounds so cool!" I also looked online for pigeon/budgie/dog relationships and it said it was cool for them! with 50 bucks in my pocket I could buy a real cheap one! I don't know about many pigeon owners here but with endless possiblitys out there who knows? My dad said "depending on all the other things and costs" so possibly! I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear your feedback!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Pigeons are wonderful pets and are a considerably better option for a pet bird than parrots are. My first bird was almost a pigeon but someone else beat me to them. They were a sweet little one legged pigeon. Their diet isn't as complex, as you mentioned they are domesticated (unlike parrots) and do really well in captivity and are less likely to hurt you (while it's expected that a parrot will likely bite you multiple times no matter how docile and tame they are. it's just how it is). The down side is they're not as intelligent and trainable as parrots are. But they're better than parrots in pretty much every aspect. Their vocalization is soft and not ear piecing. They're not as destructive. You are more likely to be able to pet them than you are with a parrot. There's a billion variations to choose from and the breeding and show community for them is very well established and your aren't as likely to be scammed while with parrots the risk of being scammed is VERY high.

Caging is a lot easier with pigeons since they aren't destructive. I've read from an experienced breeder that a large dog crate can suffice for a pigeon. Or you can custom make with cheap wood and garden fencing.

OP
4 way borbs

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Pigeons are wonderful pets and are a considerably better option for a pet bird than parrots are. My first bird was almost a pigeon but someone else beat me to them. They were a sweet little one legged pigeon. Their diet isn't as complex, as you mentioned they are domesticated (unlike parrots) and do really well in captivity and are less likely to hurt you (while it's expected that a parrot will likely bite you multiple times no matter how docile and tame they are. it's just how it is). The down side is they're not as intelligent and trainable as parrots are. But they're better than parrots in pretty much every aspect. Their vocalization is soft and not ear piecing. They're not as destructive. You are more likely to be able to pet them than you are with a parrot. There's a billion variations to choose from and the breeding and show community for them is very well established and your aren't as likely to be scammed while with parrots the risk of being scammed is VERY high.

Caging is a lot easier with pigeons since they aren't destructive. I've read from an experienced breeder that a large dog crate can suffice for a pigeon. Or you can custom make with cheap wood and garden fencing.
alright! I'll tell this to my dad and I'd think we would be good! (I'd tell him one more bird and that would be christmas present for me

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The mom n pop pet shop near me (where I got Bella) frequently has doves 🕊️ and or pigeons.
I really enjoy listening to their soft coo cooing.
I frequently saw eggs that had been laid in food bowls.
I don’t know if egg bind can be an issue.
Don’t they need grit in their diet unlike parrots?

OP
4 way borbs

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
The mom n pop pet shop near me (where I got Bella) frequently has doves 🕊️ and or pigeons.
I really enjoy listening to their soft coo cooing.
I frequently saw eggs that had been laid in food bowls.
I don’t know if egg bind can be an issue.
Don’t they need grit in their diet unlike parrots?
Google says that they don't need it

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Google says that they don't need it
I’m not sure what websites you looked at but If Pigeons are eating whole grains or seeds, they should be offered a small amount of grit. The wild pigeons/ doves on my farm know what they need. Every morning there are a few waddling around our gravel road eating small bits of rock 🙂. Fruit eating doves would not need grit so it would depend on what species you get. Pigeons sound like a fun bird to have!

Most Reactions