Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
We found a white winged crossbill in the snow, near a window and he let me pick him up. Like, I just casually grabbed him and he was like ā€œokie dokie then.ā€

So, we (my older brother and I) set up a hospitalization cage, put food and water in there, and took disease precautions (washing hands after touching the bird or anything it touched, changing clothes if it or we touched our clothing, etc). Any advice?

His cage is covered btw, not in my room, and in the calmest place in the house (which is ironically the living room).

I did a physical check on him, eyes are clear, nostrils look okay, vent is good, no broken bones from what I can see, is alert and active, plumage is vibrant, and seems okay physically.

Hereā€™s the little guy:
IMG_7611.jpeg
Dw, thatā€™s water on his chest
IMG_7620.jpeg
IMG_7610.jpeg
IMG_7622.jpeg

we donā€™t plan on keeping him overnight, and will probably release him by sunset, but is there anything else we can do? I do not want it to turn out like the flying squirrel we found two years ago, where it passed away before its release.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
If he is indeed just stunned, he will recover quickly and be ok. I often pick up stunned birds ( our picture window seems to be a problem spot šŸ˜¬). Usually I put them somewhere fairly dark for about an hour so that they can rest and then I release them near a tree with low branches so they can easily fly up into it. They always seem ready to go after that hour of recovery. Sounds like youā€™re doing everything right, but if possible, release him while thereā€™s still plenty of light so he has time to orient himself šŸ™‚.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
soo update.

Turns out he canā€™t fly. His wing isnā€™t broken, but he just wonā€™t fly. So we are keeping him overnight and will see if he can be released in the morning.

We also moved him into a bigger cage and heā€™s chilling there now
IMG_7636.jpeg
IMG_7634.jpeg

He also accepted a seeb.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh no! Are there any wildlife rehabilitation places in your area? If he canā€™t fly I would take him to one. It usually doesnā€™t cost anything.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
A bird rescue...
Good luck šŸ¤ž
Sounds like you've done all you can do

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Strange. Be very careful with quarantine measures as a bird who seems uninjured but canā€™t fly could very well be sick. But I hope thatā€™s not the case and he is feeling better in the morning! Looks like heā€™s got 5 star accommodations for the night, anyhow šŸ˜‰.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Oh no! Are there any wildlife rehabilitation places in your area? If he canā€™t fly I would take him to one. It usually doesnā€™t cost anything.
I donā€™t think so, unfortunately. Looks like heā€™s got a sprained wing, as itā€™s just his right one. Aside from that, heā€™s perfectly fine.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Strange. Be very careful with quarantine measures as a bird who seems uninjured but canā€™t fly could very well be sick. But I hope thatā€™s not the case and he is feeling better in the morning! Looks like heā€™s got 5 star accommodations for the night, anyhow šŸ˜‰.
I have found the cause. It looks like his right wing is sprained. I felt his wing and everything felt fine and normal, and he can use it, itā€™s just weak. But yes, I do believe that disease isnā€™t off the table and is very plausible. Thatā€™s why I wash my hands if I so much as touch his cage, so I donā€™t spread it to my chickens if he does have a disease or parasite.

Aha thank you lol he certainly isnā€™t too pleased about being caged. Heā€™s probably gonna reside in my brotherā€™s room for the night, or in the living room, in an area where our able-bodied cat canā€™t get to. Anyhow, heā€™s going to be warm and toasty for the night!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We found a white winged crossbill in the snow, near a window and he let me pick him up. Like, I just casually grabbed him and he was like ā€œokie dokie then.ā€

So, we (my older brother and I) set up a hospitalization cage, put food and water in there, and took disease precautions (washing hands after touching the bird or anything it touched, changing clothes if it or we touched our clothing, etc). Any advice?

His cage is covered btw, not in my room, and in the calmest place in the house (which is ironically the living room).

I did a physical check on him, eyes are clear, nostrils look okay, vent is good, no broken bones from what I can see, is alert and active, plumage is vibrant, and seems okay physically.

Hereā€™s the little guy:
View attachment 56007Dw, thatā€™s water on his chestView attachment 56008View attachment 56009View attachment 56010

we donā€™t plan on keeping him overnight, and will probably release him by sunset, but is there anything else we can do? I do not want it to turn out like the flying squirrel we found two years ago, where it passed away before its release.
I would release him in the morning when he has a full day to get his bearings back in the wild. He's a real cutie!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If he can't fly by morning you have a dilemma. Let him go to die from a predator attack or keep him caged and fed (seeds) until he can fly. Should be soon with a sprain. If no wildlife rehabber is available you don't have many options. I think it's strange that there are no wildlife rehabbers in Alaska near you with all the wildlife lovers up there. We have them in Maine. Have you called local vets for info? Vets won't treat wild birds but should know of local rehabbers.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
If he can't fly by morning you have a dilemma. Let him go to die from a predator attack or keep him caged and fed (seeds) until he can fly. Should be soon with a sprain. If no wildlife rehabber is available you don't have many options. I think it's strange that there are no wildlife rehabbers in Alaska near you with all the wildlife lovers up there. We have them in Maine. Have you called local vets for info? Vets won't treat wild birds but should know of local rehabbers.
I donā€™t want to let the little guy get eaten alive- as much as I know itā€™s nature, I just canā€™t bring myself to let that happenā€¦

the nearest rehabber is over an hour away and my parents arenā€™t willing to drive that far for a wild animal, and my brother canā€™t afford to drive that far either, as filling up his gas tank is 70$.

Borealis will not return calls, and I doubt fish and game would do anything, considering itā€™s nothing like a raptor or raven or an endangered species.

And my parents are far from willing to get this bird to a vet since, again, itā€™s a wild animal.

As of now, Iā€™ll probably just take care of the little guy with my brother until he can fly, or if the unfortunate happensā€¦

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
IMG_7674.jpeg

Also, I put this hut in there (I made sure there was no loose threads) and heā€™s settled in for the night. He went right in and went the sleep immediately, rather than shifting about on the perches. I remembered something about roosts and was like ā€œwell, I have one of those huts and never touched it! Maybe heā€™ll like that!ā€ And viola, he loves it!
IMG_7663.jpeg
IMG_7666.jpeg

Pink bum!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I donā€™t want to let the little guy get eaten alive- as much as I know itā€™s nature, I just canā€™t bring myself to let that happenā€¦

the nearest rehabber is over an hour away and my parents arenā€™t willing to drive that far for a wild animal, and my brother canā€™t afford to drive that far either, as filling up his gas tank is 70$.

Borealis will not return calls, and I doubt fish and game would do anything, considering itā€™s nothing like a raptor or raven or an endangered species.

And my parents are far from willing to get this bird to a vet since, again, itā€™s a wild animal.

As of now, Iā€™ll probably just take care of the little guy with my brother until he can fly, or if the unfortunate happensā€¦
A pet bird vet wouldn't treat a wild bird. I've tried under similar circumstances. Give him a nice big bowl of seeds and a bowl of water and hope he eats. Take care of him until he can fly which should t be very long. I agree with not letting him get eaten. Nature can be very cruel and I wont participate in it.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
A pet bird vet wouldn't treat a wild bird. I've tried under similar circumstances. Give him a nice big bowl of seeds and a bowl of water and hope he eats. Take care of him until he can fly which should t be very long. I agree with not letting him get eaten. Nature can be very cruel and I wont participate in it.
True, they really wouldnā€™tā€¦ Yeap, Iā€™ve put some seeds and water in some bowls and Iā€™ve left them for him to consume at his own will.

Yeah, I canā€™t wait for his release! Heā€™ll be so free and Iā€™ll get to watch him return home into the wild!

Yeah, I can hardly kill a bug without feeling badā€¦ i know I certainly wouldnā€™t want to be eaten alive! Itā€™d be an agonizing death and not something Iā€™d want anything of any species to experience. Iā€™ve seen them documentaries.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Donā€™t thies guys usually eat pine cone seeds?
I thought that was why their beaks are so strangely shaped, to pry open the pine coneā€™s.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Donā€™t thies guys usually eat pine cone seeds?
I thought that was why their beaks are so strangely shaped, to pry open the pine coneā€™s.
Yes, you are correct, but there arenā€™t any pinecones that I can forage due to there being dangerous amounts of snow in the trees, and too much snow on the ground to get away quickly. Believe me, I tried. I researched their diet a little, and they can eat grass seeds, so Iā€™m hoping he can eat what I put in his bowl.

Most Reactions

Latest posts