Im on the verge of buying a six year old grey

Smittler

Jan 27, 2013
Accrington, uk
Parrots
African grey Charlie (6)
Hi guys. This is my first post on here, ive been lurking for a while and enjoyed reading this forum. Out of necessity this im writing for my first time

I have a chance to buy a six year old grey, id been reading up and planning on getting one as a baby, so to consider an older bird isnt something i expected. So urgent advice is needed.

The reason for sale is because they dont have time for him, it was bought for their son but he isnt interested in it anymore, despite the fact that the bird has bonded with him and loves him, also he is very nippy, they have young children and has bitten the youngest.

When i arrived he was sat on the door of his cage eating a custard cream, that was Something that worried me, and was confirmed after when they told me how he loves to eat pizza and chips, and drink coffee from their cups. Maybe it is only in tiny amounts, i dont know, but that put me on my guard.

So, i visited him today, his feathers are perfect and looks in great health, he hates women and is cage territorial, however he let me pet him in his cage, he gave me a few gentle bites, but the fact he let me so close to start with really makes me think i have something to work with.

He doesnt seem to talk much, i heard him say a few things like 'hello, *****, shut up' and he imitates a police siren. His general demeanour seems slightly depressed, its hard to say because im no expert. He was very very quiet and i want really expecting that, now and then he'd make a few noises but he is quieter than a budgie.

So, my questions are

1 - at six year old is he going to be able to be tamed, or is it too late? He is tamed to some extent, and bonded with the kid, but he wasnt there so i couldnt verify that

2- will he talk more given the time and interaction? They say he talks a lot when noone is in the room, but again i cant confirm that, i can only say that i heard him saying half a dozen things/noises. He actually does a clucking sound like a chicken which is quite cute

3- will he step up?

4- how could he react to me being the third owner in his life? Would he be able to bond with me or would he pine for his previous owner/life?

5- what is the signs of a depressed grey? Im trying to understand his homelife, and the reasons for his quietness, nippynes etc. im getting the feeling that he is just shut up in his cage and nobody bothers with him, is this how they respond to that?

Whilst im ready to accept that i may get a bird that wont tame or be able to talk much, i really dont want to get myself into a situation that isnt going to be possible to turn around. I know how huge this responsibility is, and its a lifetime project im preparing to take on, i only work part time and will be devoting myself to it.

Apologies if i was rambling on a bit there, and im sorry if im being a pain by asking so many questions, but any information you can give me will be really really appreciated. I hope to become a regular here.

Thanks guys in advance, chris!

Last edited:

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
I got a 6 yr old CAG in Oct, we're his third home. Odin bonded with me very quickly, he settled in really well. A lot of Greys seems to be shy talkers, talking when they are alone. But the answer to most of your questions is only time will tell, putting the time in working with him and see how he responds, every bird is different and will respond differently.

bkparrot

Nov 13, 2012
Media
Brooklyn, NY
Age does not matter but your patience and time to work with him is very important. I have a 5 year old CAG and will be bringing home another 5 year old this weekend and it will be her third home. I expect to take time before anything happens including stepping up.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Six years old is still a young Grey. Like everyone said, time & your effort will make this work. By not getting a baby, all you are missing is the baby look & silliness. Instead, you are giving a bird who needs to get away from chips & coffee a chance at a normal, healthy life. You sound commited & informed enough to go for it. It will take work & time, but, you'll be glad you did. Thanks for helping him out of this unhealthy situation. BTW, if you don't want him, I'll take him! ;):)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
TAKE HIM TAKE HIM TAKE HIM
He has proved to you that there is hope
You can put him on a proper diet......
Birds adjust much quicker than what we assume
Give him the time and space
In no time will you have a happy talking fid

g0504.gif

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
About 4 years ago I got a phone call from my friend and daycare provider asking me to take in her grey. She was about 15 years old at that time now approx 18 but the daycare kids would torture her and they kept moving her cage from place to place and after some time she was never let out because she would bite at the kids. She ended up being hung from the ceiling and got no attention. They loved her and knew it wasn't fair and knew that I loved birds and had a conure so they choose me. It was a immediate decision cause we loved her already from the time we spent over there and I would also go talk to her.

She bonded well with me and she steps up for me I can hug her, rub her, play with her wings, ect. Don't get me wrong she can be nippy when she is grumpy but that is just to be excepted with most birds they have their moments. She is flighted and never in her cage except to sleep. I have never gotten a baby bird from a breeder and always have taken in rescues or rehomes and they are awesome pets. They can often take longer to bond because sometimes they are less trusting but in the end they are great pets and lovely companions.

Go with your gut if it feels right then jump if not wait maybe this one isn't the one. I have always known right away usually whether or not its going to work and Ive never regretted my decision. :grey:Let us know what you decide!

OP
S

Smittler

Jan 27, 2013
Accrington, uk
Parrots
African grey Charlie (6)
Hi guys, thanks for all the comments.

Ive slept on it and had a good think. And im pleased to announce that on friday im going to be the owner of a beautiful african grey :)

Of course i have doubts and lots of things to worry about, but he is a gorgeous bird and im trying to think about what he needs rather than what i want out of it. What will be will be.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Congrats :)

You have done the right thing:)

Look forward to seeing some pics when you bring him home on Friday.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Hi guys, thanks for all the comments.

Ive slept on it and had a good think. And im pleased to announce that on friday im going to be the owner of a beautiful african grey :)

Of course i have doubts and lots of things to worry about, but he is a gorgeous bird and im trying to think about what he needs rather than what i want out of it. What will be will be.

Good luck, I am sure everything is gonna be good with you and your new AG!!!:grey:

OP
S

Smittler

Jan 27, 2013
Accrington, uk
Parrots
African grey Charlie (6)
Cheers guys, there will be photos galore i promise :)

One thing, would you advise getting a playstand/tree straight away? He doesnt have one at the minute and i wonder if this would be a good way of bringing him out of himself. Id love a java tree stand, but its soooo expensive.

Should i keep him out of his cage for a bit when he first comes? I dont want him to be frightened of his new surroundings and to stay in his cage, if he starts off in there, he might not come out.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Should i keep him out of his cage for a bit when he first comes? I dont want him to be frightened of his new surroundings and to stay in his cage, if he starts off in there, he might not come out.[/QUOTE]

When I bought my AG I asked the breeder the same question. He told me to let the bird decide for himself and if the bird decides that it would be beter for him to stay inside the cage first time, not to push him.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I agree, Let the bird decide.
After he is home for a bit, open the door. If he feels safe he might venture out, praise him. If he wants to stay in his cage that's ok too, praise him.

I got an inexpensive T-stand on wheels when we got our amazon and it was accesible from his cage, it expanded his area and he really enjoyed it. My amazon would not step up for over a month so having the T-stand was a life saver. It was on wheels so I could take him to other parts of the house. We still use it all the time because its light and portable.

I think you made the right choice by the way, congrats!!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I'm so glad you decided to take this angel in. Thank you, he needs your help. Lots of luck, and we are always here to help & advise you.

OP
S

Smittler

Jan 27, 2013
Accrington, uk
Parrots
African grey Charlie (6)
Age does not matter but your patience and time to work with him is very important. I have a 5 year old CAG and will be bringing home another 5 year old this weekend and it will be her third home. I expect to take time before anything happens including stepping up.

Let me know how you get on with your new bird, its great to know all you guys here are so ready and forthcoming with advice. Its nOt so common thesedays to find people who genuinely want to help.

Anyway, i have a few more questions to harras everyone with))

He will come with a few bags of food, and it seems to be good stuff, but he isnt fed any fresh fruit at the minute, there is some dried fruit in it, but id really like to gir him fresh too. What would be the best fruits to start him off with? I dont wanna drastically change his diet just yet in case it upsets him ( apart from chips and coffee lol) but id like to get him onto the best diet possible in time.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
The most vitamin rich fruit are the berries strawberries, blueberries raspberries.
Apples and grapes are widely accepted but less nutrients, some birds go nuts over pomegranates.

Veggies are most important, dark green ones and bright orange are very beneficial.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
i heard him say a few things like 'hello, *****, shut up' and he imitates a police siren.

There was a grey in a rescue that I wanted to adopt but decided I could only care for one bird atm. It knew how to say

"I'm sorry, please don't"
"I won't do it again"
"I promise I'll be better"
some swear words
and could imitate police sirens perfectly.

I feel awful thinking about how he could have learned to say those things.

OP
S

Smittler

Jan 27, 2013
Accrington, uk
Parrots
African grey Charlie (6)
The most vitamin rich fruit are the berries strawberries, blueberries raspberries.
Apples and grapes are widely accepted but less nutrients, some birds go nuts over pomegranates.

Veggies are most important, dark green ones and bright orange are very beneficial.

I think ill get him some berries to start off with and see how we go. These birds diets are so healthy i think i might just share his food ;)

So carrots and broccoli would be popular? Someone suggested mashed potato is very popular, though i cant imagine its very nutritional

Last edited:
OP
S

Smittler

Jan 27, 2013
Accrington, uk
Parrots
African grey Charlie (6)
i heard him say a few things like 'hello, *****, shut up' and he imitates a police siren.

There was a grey in a rescue that I wanted to adopt but decided I could only care for one bird atm. It knew how to say

"I'm sorry, please don't"
"I won't do it again"
"I promise I'll be better"
some swear words
and could imitate police sirens perfectly.

I feel awful thinking about how he could have learned to say those things.

Thats scary, at least he was at the rescue centre and away from that environment..

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots

I think ill get him some berries to start off with and see how we go. These birds diets are so healthy i think i might just share his food ;)

So carrots and broccoli would be popular? Someone suggested mashed potato is very popular, though i cant imagine its very nutritional

Mashed potatoes are usually loved, not the most nutritional sweet potatoes and squash are better

Rice is liked as well, brown rice is better.
Pasta is also liked a lot, once again whole wheat is better.

Most Reactions