Im really scared . Help ?

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
A test can be done to see the bacteria count in your bird's system, that would be the only way to know for sure if your bird is sick.

I will throw out this possibility though. When my alex got a concussion, he was hurt for two days, obvious drooping and shivering, barely eating. All I could get him to eat was applesauce and bread. On the third day when I woke up (but hadn't gotten out of bed yet) I could hear him eat his pellets and play in his cage. When I got up, he started acting hurt again. By the end of the day I realized he was faking being more hurt than he was to get all the extra attention and yummy foods.

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
You should probably take him to the vet tomorrow, but I'd also like to add something. Are you sure it's as bad as you think it is? If you are freaked out, you need to take a deep breath and look at him as if he weren't your bird, but someone elses. If you are anything like me, you would freak out about things that don't even exist. I was freaking out a couple of nights ago, and stayed up until about 4:00 crying, thinking Kirby had crop disease because his crop looked a lot bigger. But then he moved his body and I realized it was just his feathers poking up.
Not saying he's not sick, but animals act out your stresses and if you are stressed it'll make things worse. I'd say a call tonight and if he's not better by tomorrow morning its vet time. I totally understand not being able to afford the vet!

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
HEY EVERYONE
Great news, i had checked out by the avian vet and hes fine:) He had a slight cold and some kinda of infection. He is now on antibiotics and he looks better already. Thanks for the advice and prayers !
THANK YOU ALL

Oh! Thats great to hear!!!

OP
babybirdie

babybirdie

Jun 14, 2014
Media
Parrots
Alexandrian Parrot
cockatiels
love birds
budgies
Indian ring neck
A test can be done to see the bacteria count in your bird's system, that would be the only way to know for sure if your bird is sick.

I will throw out this possibility though. When my alex got a concussion, he was hurt for two days, obvious drooping and shivering, barely eating. All I could get him to eat was applesauce and bread. On the third day when I woke up (but hadn't gotten out of bed yet) I could hear him eat his pellets and play in his cage. When I got up, he started acting hurt again. By the end of the day I realized he was faking being more hurt than he was to get all the extra attention and yummy foods.

The new vet said that he really didnt think a blood test was necessary. The thing with echo is hes is eating, hes plying and is very active . He still love to screech, talk and chirp. His shivering seems to stop but the posture is still very off and the vet said it was cause of hes size ( large so its normal for his tail to bobb) and that it was normal :S The main thing im worrying about is his breathing . Like today he flew around my room like 5-6 ( first time that much - he hates flying and will only fly when he wants to get on his cage) but today i was trying to teach him re-call flying and after a few times he started to gasp for a like a good 5 minutes... is that normal ? My reasoning is that the reason hes gasping was because he snot use to all the flying ? ...im still worrying after spending so much money ...

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
I empathiize with you! Medical information from vets and from the web can be very confusing and sometimes contradictory.

But one sensible advice I have often heard is the pro biotics are much more important than antibiotics. Birds can die from antibiotics over dose. Correct dosage will help.

When their energy is lost and they are not eating, water melon juice is supposed be a good energizer and detoxicant. Needs to be given every 3 hours or so.

Also holy basil- about 8 leaves boiled in a cup of water till the water is stained can be a good cure and a substitute for strong antibiotics. Heat till the water level comes to half a cup. However use this solution only when the bird is seriously ill.

OP
babybirdie

babybirdie

Jun 14, 2014
Media
Parrots
Alexandrian Parrot
cockatiels
love birds
budgies
Indian ring neck
I empathiize with you! Medical information from vets and from the web can be very confusing and sometimes contradictory.

But one sensible advice I have often heard is the pro biotics are much more important than antibiotics. Birds can die from antibiotics over dose. Correct dosage will help.

When their energy is lost and they are not eating, water melon juice is supposed be a good energizer and detoxicant. Needs to be given every 3 hours or so.

Also holy basil- about 8 leaves boiled in a cup of water till the water is stained can be a good cure and a substitute for strong antibiotics. Heat till the water level comes to half a cup. However use this solution only when the bird is seriously ill.

Thanks! that's good advice that i will deff remember for the future. However, echo is full of energy . He doesn't eat during the day ( maybe few cheerios or a piece of banana) but he eats at night when im in the room . I think he may have anxiety and because of that he dosesnt like to eat when he is in a room alone :( I may try the basil thou. While as the doc said hes not seriously ill, i still wanna try the basil thing. Does it have to be holy basil or can it be regular basil ?

OP
babybirdie

babybirdie

Jun 14, 2014
Media
Parrots
Alexandrian Parrot
cockatiels
love birds
budgies
Indian ring neck
Can you post a video of your bird doing the actions that are worrying you?

Sure, i will try to upload one . Echo is pretty camera shy thou

Most Reactions

Latest posts