I'm sad................

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Hi Scott, no need for me to forgive you for seeking clarity. I should have been more clear. Up to this morning, Pako was with us home, in the garage.
Before I went to work today, I dropped him of at the petshop and was issued a full refund check plus the vet fees. They put him in quarantine & said they will continue with the same meds my vet prescribed.
I swear I'm so disappointed, it was not a pleasant experience for us & I don't even know if and when we will ever think about getting another feathered friend. Time will tell.
In the meantime, I will keep reading all of your happy stories here & wish you well.

The pet shop is aware that it should NOT bring in any other birds, yes? And EVERYTHING needs to be properly sanitized? Honestly, it doesn't sound like they're aware of just how deadly or contagious this disease is. Every bird that was in the shop when Paco first arrived (prior to you purchasing him), and after, has likely been contaminated with psittacosis. Then everything and everyone they came in contact with is carrying the psittacosis germs, spreading them even further. The breeder that Paco came from is probably running rampant with psittacosis, whether or not their birds are showing symptoms. Then each person who adopts one of those birds is potentially bringing a disease shedding baby into their home, further spreading the disease.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but whatever's happening does not seem safe! It might be a good idea to notify the health department and/or infection control. Just be aware that this may result in Paco and numerous other birds being euthanized. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe psittacosis isn't as terrible as I think it is. I could have my facts wrong, but from what I understand, this disease is absolutely horrendous.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes think you are probably right but as a community the 'E' word does not sit well. We are driven to try our absolute hardest for survival.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Oh, I don't mean to suggest that Paco, or any other infected individuals, should be euthanized. The disease may have a high mortality rate, but that doesn't mean we should just give up on the little guys. They can still enjoy life, and they can live years with the disease before requiring humane euthanasia. Like AIDS, MS, ALS, or terminal cancer, we can slow down the progression of the disease, alleviate pain, and improve quality of life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts