I'm So Excited I could Spit!

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I just put Fred to bed, and instead of taking him directly to his sleep cage, I sat in the birdroom, and held him on my arm. I kissed the top of his head several times, I rubbed my nose in his beak, and he loved it! I think he loves me! I've come to the conclusion that when adopting a bird, it takes the owner some time to trust the bird, as well as for the bird to trust the owner. I'm much more comfortable with him now, as he is with me!!! Life is good!!!!:):):)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I'm happy for you, Sharon.

There is a certain "magic" moment, when that ice gets broken, and you feel they've accepted you.

Hurricane

Sep 6, 2010
That's amazing Sharon! You and Fred really are an inspiration to me and a reminder that it takes time, and for that I have to thank you!

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Thanks guys!:) It's been four months for Fred and I. He's gone from being quite nippy to hardly ever biting. I step him up on my arm most times now with no problem. He's comfortable on my arm, and I'm comfortable offering it. After being bitten and bruised more than once, it's actually quite amazing!
The best thing about tonight was that Fred enjoyed it as much as I did. He made the cutest little gurgly sounds of contentment, and when he went to his sleep cage, he closed his eyes and yawned....
How odd that such a thing can make me feel so special!!!:eek:

Hurricane

Sep 6, 2010
I don't think that's odd at all! I can't wait for my boy to accept me as Fred has with you. I think I just might cry when I have a moment like that with Sev.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
It'll come.... Just be patient. I actually think I was trying too hard at first. I remember thinking that if Fred never wanted physical contact, that it would be OK...and it would have been...but it is so rewarding when you get more than you expected!:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sharon you are doing a fantastic job, being Freddie's guardian.
You have been patient, and it certainly has paid off, Freddie sure is starting to trust you now.
There are going to be many many more moments when you feel like crying, being very emotional, just observing the small "special moments" he shares with you.
There is not a day that goes by, where Mishka does not bring a tear of joy to me.
This is just the beginning of a love that will last many many years

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I feel your excitement!!!!

Genuinely!

I feel the same about Cal at the moment as she really has come on leaps and bounds this past week.

Congrats!

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
Awww! I can TOTALLY relate to those "precious moments"!!! I mean, Maui is ONLY 8 wks old and already, he IS my LOVE!! I HAVE cried over him many times already, whether it was just how he wanted me to just snuggle him up and he coo'd, shook his tail feathers, or laid there and beak clicked, or he accomplished something new, ate a new veggie, or whatever, he is just like having a baby, except I didn't give birth to him. Congrats on such a heartwarming breakthrough Sharon. Ant, too bad our CAGS didn't live closer, she is so cute!!! and I bet Maui would just LOVE her, he tries so hard to play with my 'tiels, but they want NO part of him, poor Maui, he's such a lover boy.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
So happy for you and Mr Fred, Sharon. I wish that there were rescue centres for parrots in SA - there is a sanctuary near me with so many parrots but they dont rehome them. They say that the number of times that they have the parrots come back of numorous and they dont want that happening.

Sigh - I look forward to the day that my Rosie shows she loves me - she does in a way, wanting to be near me but wont let me touch her - patience Jess patience ;) Its 7:41am and you have made my day by the fact that Mr Fred is taking a leap of faith and trusting you - God bless you Sharon :)

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
It will come, and when you least expect it. I was rather accustomed to Fred being as he was, and perfectly happy to not handle him much. He decided that he wanted more...and I'm so happy!

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
It will come, and when you least expect it. I was rather accustomed to Fred being as he was, and perfectly happy to not handle him much. He decided that he wanted more...and I'm so happy!

You are abolutely right Sharon, I bow my head in shame that Rosie's love is classified if I can scratch and touch her. I have been humbled and not in a bad way but in a way that makes me realise that I love Rosie so much and the love I have for her is who she is and not what I want her to be. I will always keep that in mind and not compare her to other birds.

Thank you for this post :)

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
The first of many special moments to come Sharon. Your patience and willingness to let Freddy set the pace has put you here. Thanks for sharing that moment with us!

Most Reactions