Im torn, which species would be a better match?

littletiel

Dec 22, 2012
Hi everyone! Sorry this is so long! I'm looking to get either a Red front macaw, or a Timneh african grey. I would really love to have a smart quiet but loving timneh, but also a playful, social, maybe even obnoxious (lol) red front. But I know I can only handle and afford one of them. Im 15 and have been researching for about 5 months now. I've always had a love for parrots, right now I have a tiel that is my little buddy around the house.
I have a very active lifestyle, and involved in the car scene, I would love to harness train a macaw or timneh and have him accompany me to car shows, and to work on cars and socialize him with plenty of people. I know an african grey might not like this type of lifestyle, so I'm leaning toward a macaw. But an african grey would most likely be easier to care for, but maybe harder to understand because of their sensitive nature. I also feel a macaw would be more tolerant of the noise of cars, but they might have screaming fits to compete with noise and all the activity and in turn, annoy people. I think that would be better than having a fearful grey though. As for going to college, I live close to the university I'd like to go to, so I would stay home and commute so I wouldn't have to leave my birds and go to a dorm. The only experience ive had with parrots are my cockatiel, a few poor macaws at the local feed shop, and going a pretty reputable bird breeder/ shop nearby. I feel having an african grey or macaw would be a challenge, but rewarding at the same time. I'm just torn at which one would be a better for me, and which one would be happier with an active lifestyle. Any input would be great :) Thanks

OP
L

littletiel

Dec 22, 2012
Sorry if I posted in the wrong category, I'm new to the forums ^^

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

My advice would be to go for the Timneh!

You would need to spend time with a Macaw first, especially as you have no experience with large Birds.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I say Temneh, macaws are great but can be intimidating and give a powerful bite. Because of this it's easy to become a little scared of them if they're your first large bird. A gray can still give a strong and painful bite but still a fraction of the macaws.

And grays are fantastic!

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Whichever bird you end up with, please be mindful that automotive exhaust fumes can be fatal to birds if exposure is prolonged.

OP
L

littletiel

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks! Can timnehs be outgoing towards strangers, and accepting of new places and things if socialized well as babies?

OP
L

littletiel

Dec 22, 2012
Yeah I would avoid having them next to any exessive exhaust fumes

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thanks! Can timnehs be outgoing towards strangers, and accepting of new places and things if socialized well as babies?
Congo and Temnehs both can be outgoing and accepting of new places. Everyday make sure to give your parrot new experiences(such as meeting new items they can destroy), once your bird is wearing a harness you can take a gray out everyday.

With my galah having her harness trained made her very social and new objects rarely freak her out. Taking your parrot places is fantastic for them mentally as long as your careful and thoughtful.

OP
L

littletiel

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks for the input! I think I've decided on a grey, now time to save money lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts