Moody Miri...

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Can't really put my finger on the "why" of it, but MAN is Miri in a mood today! :confused::( Been like this most of the day today....Talk about being "nippy"..SHEESH No idea why but she has nailed me a few times today, even drew blood on me once, got me right between two fingers. I've put her up 3-4 times over it as well. Nothing different or special about today and no real weather changes. I can usually attribute it to something but not today. :31::52:

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
So is ReaRea, and she's never like that with me :p

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Funny, MAC was a bit of a PITA yesterday.

He settled down in the evening. We kind of attributed it to us running in and out more with Christmas shopping and him having to be in his cage more than normal.

OR, maybe he just wanted to be a PITA!!:54:

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
well today ain't any better.......:rolleyes:

was getting a cup of coffee and Miri flew over and landed on me....

She immediately reached down and bit the *%$# out of arm :(

I need to figure out what the H*** is going on :31:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
well today ain't any better.......:rolleyes:

was getting a cup of coffee and Miri flew over and landed on me....

She immediately reached down and bit the *%$# out of arm :(

I need to figure out what the H*** is going on :31:
Not sure if you've already tried this. But I would be sure to spend plenty of one-on-one time with her each day. It sure seems like it could be based in jealousy.

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Oh I agree completely Plax, just not sure why the aggression is double the norm the last 2 days. I already told the wife earlier to remind me to spend extra time with her today.

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
how old is miri? i know the debate about parrots and puberty is an ongoing one. but perhaps she's going through birdie puberty in a sense. i know some people claim they don't go through it, but in my own opinion anything that has to grow up to reach sexual maturity is still a type of puberty. if that makes any sense! :/ but if it's like you think with the jealousy over rea rea, depending on what your routine is like. who gets fed first etc. i wonder if tending to miri's needs before rea rea's would help out any. im no expert by a long shot. just an idea. but you are experienced with macaws and i am just learning through what i see and read, right now. because i would love to have one as well. .....p.s. i watched your youtube video of you and rea rea, and she is such a lover. i hope when i get my gw it will be a lover also. :)

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Oh I know about the puberty thing, she's a little young for that yet, only a little over a year old now. The jealousy thing is my fault but it also has to do with Miri's personality. ReaRea has always been the mellow one whereas Miri has not, I hand raised both personally and Miri just turned out differently. When I spend "office time" with them they almost always both come in at the same time unless Miri is in one of her "moods". Which will usually change after being separated from ReaRea and then I'll have both in here with me.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Oh I agree completely Plax, just not sure why the aggression is double the norm the last 2 days. I already told the wife earlier to remind me to spend extra time with her today.
I've found that feelings of jealousy, especially when those feelings involve a perception of being slighted by someone who's important to you, tend to compound. That is, they accumulate (or stack up). When the level reaches a high enough point, the individual experiencing such intensified feelings may be less likely to control related outbursts. This could be a factor with Miri.

MrsWharfrat

Jul 6, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings, 2 Yellow Naped Amazons, 1 Hahns Macaw
One thing to keep in mind is that we got RaeRae when she was still very young, much younger then we got the rest. She was only about 1 month. Rae had special one on one time with all of us. Miri was just over 2 months when we broguth her home. Also when we brought Rae home there was just Kalani, our Hahns Macaw who we had already had for a year and a half. When we got Miri, we already had Kalani, Rae & Halo (one of my YNA), and the same day we brought Miri home, we brought Shiloh (my other YNA) home. Miri had not been raised the same as Rae, having got Rae so very young. Miri tries, she's just got a rougher type of personality, and yes I believe there is definitely jealousy there in regards to Rae.

MrsWharfrat

Jul 6, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Rae brought home so early, she was given long periods of time with each of us. Miri had 2 sisters born at the same time as her as well, where Rae had not. Miri can be loads of fun, she has started saying hello, and can be very funny. I have taught her to do, what I fondly refer to as, 'The football shuffle'. She hunches down low and and she fluffs her wings out a bit and will rock her body side to side likes she getting all siked up for the 'Big Game'. :)

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
she's a high octane parrot ey! im glad you posted about this because i was just talking to my fiancee about weather or not i should find a male or a female. i have read that males tend to be more nippier than females as they get older. but from the looks of it , it really depends on the bird. or is there some truth to males being more testier than the females?

MrsWharfrat

Jul 6, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
I personally do not believe that. Take for example my 2 male YNA's, Siblings but from a different clutch. Halo is the calmest and friendliest of the two. Shiloh is a tad bit obsessed with me and he can get to be a real PITA, attitude wise. I firmly believe it depends on the bird and not on the gender :) IMHA ;)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Miri had 2 sisters born at the same time as her as well, where Rae had not.
Maybe the early adaptation Miri experienced with regard to competing with siblings for things like position, who gets fed first, etc., plays into her perception of the world as a place where rivalry thrives ?? Just a thought.

I have taught her to do, what I fondly refer to as, 'The football shuffle'. She hunches down low and and she fluffs her wings out a bit and will rock her body side to side likes she getting all siked up for the 'Big Game'. :)
If we got Miri and her footbal shuffle together with Salsa and his "Go Cubs Go!" rally yell (not related to football, albeit), we could have quite a game atmosphere going on :D

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Oh, BTW, is it "ReaRea" as WharfRat types it? Or is it "RaeRae" as MrsWharfrat types it? Just wondering.

MrsWharfrat

Jul 6, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
If we got Miri and her footbal shuffle together with Salsa and his "Go Cubs Go!" rally yell (not related to football, albeit), we could have quite a game atmosphere going on :D

LOLOL, we probably could :D

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
LOL @ the spelling :D Rae is probably the "proper spelling", her name given by the breeder was "Reagan" and I just changed it up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts