Feb 23, 2011
Media
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
9 lorikeets
2 alexandrines
1 eclectus
3 cockatiels
Does anyone know anything about importing birds?..

We're a genuine couple in Australia looking to bring in some birds (exotic lori's, african greys) from o/s and not sure where to start.

Not interested in illegally importing them here.

Any info would be great! :D

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Sorry it's illegal to import any bird into Australia.

You can get greys here but they have a high price tag.:grey:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Why would you want to import? Other then its illegal to do so. In Aussie, there should be plenty for you to choose from.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Mikey, Exotics over here fetch a much higher price like $6,000 for a B&G Macaw & the grey's are $4,000 or so. Much the same as our Australian natives are a higher price in your country. We kind of envy the prices of other countries & what they pay for their native parrots.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The thing is we don't have native parrots. The reason the cost is lower here because a lot of them became unwanted birds and from over population.

OP
G

glenashbec

Feb 23, 2011
Media
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
9 lorikeets
2 alexandrines
1 eclectus
3 cockatiels
Mikey - it's incredibly expensive to purchase exotic birds here.. For example, it's around $7K to buy a blue fronted macaw and around $7.5K to buy a african grey.

It's sad to hear that there are a lot of unwanted birds over there. :( I'm glad I don't live in the States as my husband and I would have A LOT of birds! LOL!

OP
G

glenashbec

Feb 23, 2011
Media
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
9 lorikeets
2 alexandrines
1 eclectus
3 cockatiels
Mikey, Exotics over here fetch a much higher price like $6,000 for a B&G Macaw & the grey's are $4,000 or so. Much the same as our Australian natives are a higher price in your country. We kind of envy the prices of other countries & what they pay for their native parrots.

Greys for $4,000?! Where have you seen them going for that amount? I'm in Sydney and the only price I see them going for would be around the $6-7Kish mark.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
It's not illegal if you do it right, I believe. They have to stay in quarantine for a long time though. Last week I saw hand reared macaws in the newspaper for the second time in 8 years! The price made me go 'ouch'!
Cockatoos, galahs, lorikeets and other natives go for very cheap. I have only ever seen a conure twice. A GCC and a Sun.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I checked into bringing a bird from the USA into Canada....The bird had to stay in quarantine with a family member, and both of us had to be at the border for transfer of the bird. Bird had to be vet checked with papers...

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I wish birds WERE more expensive here if I am honest.

It would stop a lot of impulse buys and neglect.

I don't know about importing but then again, being very, very honest, I could only read so much about the subject and stop. I'm sure not all birds are transported badly, but given their intelligence, I can't imagine a long haul flight and quarantine with no actual person to trust in all that time would be beneficial to them.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I was looking for a Cape, at the time. They're difficult to find in Canada. I had someone willing to take the bird, for the quarantine period( a friend from another forum) but I had to drive all the way across Canada in order to pick up, and then drive all the way back with a bird who didn't know or trust me at all...not feasible.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
A link from our government & why it's so hard to import & more important why it was stopped. I know people living overseas can't bring their pet birds into Australia if they come back to live here. I also know of 1 case that made the news where a couple had been cruising around Auz in their boat with a SC 2, because they sailed out of Australian waters the bird was not allowed back on Australian soil. You don't mess with customs in this country.

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/12046/99-090a.pdf

OP
G

glenashbec

Feb 23, 2011
Media
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
9 lorikeets
2 alexandrines
1 eclectus
3 cockatiels
You don't mess with customs in this country.

LOL

You got that right!

We were looking into some exotic lori's and there's these streaky lori's that we were interested in but there's a 3 year wait! And I can't remember how much he said they were but it was shocking. LOL

Most Reactions