In Need of You All

Debbie P.

Aug 25, 2023
Hi. I recently lost my 26 year old conure…..I’m 64, so I’ve had her a good portion of my life. I live alone, though I do have grandchildren near by (thank God), but she’s been my roommate…. She ALWAYS showed her love for me.
Losing her has been quite devastating and I know the only ones that can understand the pain you feel are those that have birds, and that’s why I needed to become part of your group. I was reading some of your comments and stories and knew I wanted to belong. People that have never had a relationship with a Bird/parrot cannot comprehend the companionship you build with them.
I’m so thankful I found this group! If only my pain would go away……. I miss her so much.!

Attachments

• IMG_4321.jpeg
    IMG_4321.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 28

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Oh yes, we sympathize and can, at least, begin to understand your pain.
I am so sorry.

I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera and read this phrase that I thought was a good description of our relationships with parrots.
"..our soul's best friend"

We are here for you to cry to,
or yell at,
or share stories from her much loved life if you'd like.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I am so sorry for your loss. Birds are so unique and they hold such a special place in our hearts. I am sure your girl had a fantastic life with you. I hope in time you are able to reflect on your happy memories together and find joy in them. Wishing you all the best.

OP
D

Debbie P.

Aug 25, 2023
Oh yes, we sympathize and can, at least, begin to understand your pain.
I am so sorry.

I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera and read this phrase that I thought was a good description of our relationships with parrots.
"..our soul's best friend"

We are here for you to cry to,
or yell at,
or share stories from her much loved life if you'd like.
Thank you so much .... she was my “soul’s best friend”

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi. I recently lost my 26 year old conure…..I’m 64, so I’ve had her a good portion of my life. I live alone, though I do have grandchildren near by (thank God), but she’s been my roommate…. She ALWAYS showed her love for me.
Losing her has been quite devastating and I know the only ones that can understand the pain you feel are those that have birds, and that’s why I needed to become part of your group. I was reading some of your comments and stories and knew I wanted to belong. People that have never had a relationship with a Bird/parrot cannot comprehend the companionship you build with them.
I’m so thankful I found this group! If only my pain would go away……. I miss her so much.!
Welcome to the forums, @Debbie P., though I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful conure 💔 Twenty-six years is a wonderfully long life - it could be two hundred and twenty-six years and it would still not be long enough but your girl was lucky to have been so cherished and loved by you. We here certainly do understand how much the pain of their loss hurts, I still cry almost daily over losses from years ago! I hope you are able to find some solace here, and I am sending prayers of comfort to you and hopes that your heart will find some peace in the many happy memories that you have of her. 🙏🙏🙏

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
**Huge Huge Huge HUGZ** I'm coming to the end of both my conure and cockatiels' lives. I dread losing them, even if it is to old age. Charlie, my Peach Front, is 23. Redshift, my cockatiel, is 22. I totally empathize your situation! It's not just like losing a bestie. it's like losing a part of one's soul. :'(

OP
D

Debbie P.

Aug 25, 2023
Welcome to the forums, @Debbie P., though I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful conure 💔 Twenty-six years is a wonderfully long life - it could be two hundred and twenty-six years and it would still not be long enough but your girl was lucky to have been so cherished and loved by you. We here certainly do understand how much the pain of their loss hurts, I still cry almost daily over losses from years ago! I hope you are able to find some solace here, and I am sending prayers of comfort to you and hopes that your heart will find some peace in the many happy memories that you have of her. 🙏🙏🙏
Thank you for your words and prayers!!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm so sorry! Your conure (what was her name) was beautiful, adorable and a lucky bird to have had such a loving stable home. I admire you so much for your commitment to her. There must be a huge gaping hole in your heart and life right now. It will get better but takes time. If your health is good, have you considered getting a rescue- an older bird, perhaps one whose owner died and needs a home as much as you need a companion? Not right away of course. Take time to grieve and search for the right bird. Better yet, let the right bird chose you!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’m so very sorry for your loss. It hurts to lose our friends. We as humans have such a long lifespan. We say goodbye to our feathered friends, and they leave us with beautiful forever memories. I always have looked at it as I was the lucky one to have such an exquisite parrot in my life.

I hope you are okay.

OP
D

Debbie P.

Aug 25, 2023
I'm so sorry! Your conure (what was her name) was beautiful, adorable and a lucky bird to have had such a loving stable home. I admire you so much for your commitment to her. There must be a huge gaping hole in your heart and life right now. It will get better but takes time. If your health is good, have you considered getting a rescue- an older bird, perhaps one whose owner died and needs a home as much as you need a companion? Not right away of course. Take time to grieve and search for the right bird. Better yet, let the right bird chose you!
Hello. Her name was Petie. I thought for the first two years of her life she was a male.🤣🤣
Thank you for your caring words. Yes, there is a huge gaping hole.
I have definitely considered a rescue, and cannot wait to get another…..
But as you said, I’m going to see if the situation presents itself, let my next pick me , and take my time to grieve❤️. Thank you.

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
Hello. Her name was Petie. I thought for the first two years of her life she was a male.🤣🤣
Thank you for your caring words. Yes, there is a huge gaping hole.
I have definitely considered a rescue, and cannot wait to get another…..
But as you said, I’m going to see if the situation presents itself, let my next pick me , and take my time to grieve❤️. Thank you.
I'm 😞 sorry for your loss. If you eventually decide on another bird, here are my thoughts.

I'm almost 69. I chose a parakeet, because of my age. 1. Budgie's lives are shorter, like mine. 🙃2. If the cage has a deep solid bottom, there is virtually no mess 3. My skin is thin so a small budgie won't be making me bleed.
4. They are affectionate and easily tamed, especially if purchased young from a breeder. 5. They make very little noise, so if I end up in a retirement home, it can go too. 6. The males have the ability to talk.

I attached a video of my two virtually 'mess free' cages. Both doors stay open so he goes wherever he chooses.

The white cage is totally mess free because of the deep base.

I had to cut plastic panels for the darker cage (held in place by 2" round magnets from eBay), then I moved the tray to sit higher up, ABOVE the metal skirt rather than 4" below it. Fortunately there was enough room for the wire grate and the tray to both fit in the same space. At my age, less work is important.

Maybe some of the above info will help, when you are ready to love again. ❤️

OP
D

Debbie P.

Aug 25, 2023
My heartfelt sympathy. I think most of us have lost a Fid in the past. I make a donation to Cornell Univ Vet program, specifying it be used for parrot related studies, twice a year, in the name of all our lost birdies. I add Petei's name.
😭😭THANK YOU…… that is so touching…you warmed my heart!! What a wonderful thing to do in all of their honor!❤️

OP
D

Debbie P.

Aug 25, 2023
I'm 😞 sorry for your loss. If you eventually decide on another bird, here are my thoughts.

I'm almost 69. I chose a parakeet, because of my age. 1. Budgie's lives are shorter, like mine. 🙃2. If the cage has a deep solid bottom, there is virtually no mess 3. My skin is thin so a small budgie won't be making me bleed.
4. They are affectionate and easily tamed, especially if purchased young from a breeder. 5. They make very little noise, so if I end up in a retirement home, it can go too. 6. The males have the ability to talk.

I attached a video of my two virtually 'mess free' cages. Both doors stay open so he goes wherever he chooses.

The white cage is totally mess free because of the deep base.

I had to cut plastic panels for the darker cage (held in place by 2" round magnets from eBay), then I moved the tray to sit higher up, ABOVE the metal skirt rather than 4" below it. Fortunately there was enough room for the wire grate and the tray to both fit in the same space. At my age, less work is important.

Maybe some of the above info will help, when you are ready to love again. ❤️
View attachment 53758
I will certainly consider your words….that is definitely a major consideration - my age….thank you so much!!❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts