ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Hmmm, is he is a true "plakat" he will probably be demolshishing the shrimps the moment they molt/ get out of their protective shell and are soft enough to attack succesfully.

I've kept (and bred) beta's mostly in community-tanks, but once in a while you get one that goes absolutely beserk.
In my case a female .. I had 4 of them in a middle-sized tank (39 inches) with a few kuhli's, leftover female guppies (yuck, annoying little breeders ;) ) and (my favorite at the time) paracheirodon similans and of course lots and lots of live plants.
One day She decided she was all grown up and started slaughtering her fellow females ...
No male present anywhere in the house at that time and they'd all grown up together, so no idea where that came from.
That really got me a-into a second tank and b-an avoidance for the more plakat-type beta's.
I've only bought the cuddly ones ever since!

(by then I had discovered breeders instead of petshops)

=
ugh, they changed names again?? :confused:
I am so fed up with the whole shrimp-thing.
Every time I turn around there are more ridiculous commercial names for exactly the same shrimp-variation and worse ... officially reclassified the latin ones-- I can't keep up anymore. :08:
(I've stopped breeding shrimp-variations 7 years ago, am currently down to 1 / who smuggled herself in with a new plant )

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
ugh, they changed names again?? :confused:
I am so fed up with the whole shrimp-thing.
Every time I turn around there are more ridiculous commercial names for exactly the same shrimp-variation and worse ... officially reclassified the latin ones-- I can't keep up anymore. :08:
(I've stopped breeding shrimp-variations 7 years ago, am currently down to 1 / who smuggled herself in with a new plant )

More like N. davidi and N. palmata were the original names to classify these shrimp, then they were given new names (heteropoda/denticulata and zhangjiajiensis) and when it was discovered that the old names were originally used to describe the same shrimp, they are now called by the old/original names. That said, many people still refer to them as the newer names, with heteropoda being more common than denticula, and zhangjiajiensis.

At least, from my understanding.

I do like how the large conures have been reclassified now though! The larger "black beak, blue flight" conures (sun, nanday, dusky, etc) as Aratinga, then the "green and red" conures (mitred, white eyed, finsch's, etc) as Psittacara, then the "brown" conures (orange front, peach front, brown throat, etc) are Eupsittula, etc.

Can't say I know as much about fish, but I love that Smokie gets a big tank!!! :D

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Oh, how fun! I had a 29 gallon for years and had one betta in it at any given time -- on the contrary, I found that they flourished in the huge space, given enough places to hide, had a specific time where no bubbles would be on so he could eat his betta food, they seemed to really enjoy swimming around. That and bloodworms, just about every fish I kept LOVED bloodworms, including the betta.

Here's my tank (excuse the whispering, it's called ASMR and this video is meant to be relaxing, but it shows the betta and other fish in the tank).

I've had bettas with tetras, mollies, guppies, angelfish (babies), a pleco and never had problems. They left the betta alone. But I would not suggest having angelfish that are adults with a betta, or multiple bettas in the same tank. But I am no expert, and I no longer keep fish, just got out of the hobby.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIc51VdXnL0"]Whsiper 25: Fish - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions