indian ringnecks

mariosg76

May 7, 2013
hi to everyone! is there a posibility 2 female ringnecks make eggs? Because i have a pair and no one of them has the ring on its neck. They are about 2 years old and recently they made 3 eggs. The one is in the nest during the day and the other during the night. Before that i was sure that they were both females!!!:green1::rainbow1::orange::grey:

leo1955

Mar 20, 2013
Media
I think the answer to your query is yes. Actually, even if your female bird is alone she possibly can make eggs, if triggered. Although they have eggs, these are not fertile eggs, if they are really both females.

OP
M

mariosg76

May 7, 2013
i can see them kissing each other. I heared that they must be at least 3 years old so as to be sure for the sex. my parrots are 2 years old!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's true... males typically have their ring by the age of 2 years, however, it can take as long as 3 years for a male to get their ring...

So either you have two female birds or you have a female and a late bloomer. You can candle the eggs after about a weeks time of incubation and see if they are fertile or not. Also, two females may both lay eggs, so if you see more than 1 egg in a two days period of time, chances are, you have two females.

OP
M

mariosg76

May 7, 2013
Actually i bought them as a pair.they were about 1 year old. I have them about 10-11 months now and they behave as a pair (they are sitting together, feeding each other). The one has a slight ring on his neck,not full. The strange thing is that he is with the eggs all the day. This is the reason which make me to feel that they are both females!!!.The other one is in the nest during the night. thanks

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Males and females of various species may share nest duties. Cockatiels are well known for this, and males typically take on one shift where-as the hens take the other shift. IRN's may also have shadow rings, which are not true rings in themselves.

Two females and two males may act like true pairs, even going as far as mating and feeding each other, but never being able to fully reproduce!

About 5-7 days after incubation has begun, you should be able to candle the eggs (using a flash light) and see if there are any red veins. If they are male and female and have successfully copulated and fertilized the eggs, you'll know for sure! If they haven't, either they are too young and inexperienced or you have two females.

Since you bought them "as a pair" - is there any chance that the two could be related?

OP
M

mariosg76

May 7, 2013
finally they are a pair.This morning i heared babies begging for food!!!!!!!!!!!!! The strange thing is that the male does all the job!!!! thanks:green1::green::whiteblue:

Most Reactions

Latest posts