Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
In Florida we have Fire Ants which make mounds in the yard and are a danger to small children. I have devised a very effective green and cheap way to eliminate them. A decade ago, rear projection TVs were the rage and about the only way to have a really large TV. These are now found at the curb in increasing numbers as people switch to flat screen TVs. Inside of each of these TVs is a large plastic mat right behind the screen called a Fresnal Lense. If you take this flexible mat and frame it up, when the sun shines through it, it will create a beam like a magnifying glass hot enough to melt aluminum. Position this over the mound on a sunny day and wallah... the fire ants are smoked! Click on picture to enlarge.

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Be careful Al or the fire marshal might come knocking on your door.....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hmmmm! That's taking the term "Fire Ant" a bit literally!

It does occur to me that anything hot enough to melt aluminum would be hot enough to start a grass or brush fire in your yard...

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Hmmmm! That's taking the term "Fire Ant" a bit literally!

It does occur to me that anything hot enough to melt aluminum would be hot enough to start a grass or brush fire in your yard...

Yes! Leaves catch fire at 451 degrees F. but all around the mound is nothing but ant dirt. I do not leave this unattended. Even storing the lense is kinda dangerous as it needs to be away from any sunlight. I now have an even bigger one that is closer to being square and concentrates the light to a 1" circle.

Most Reactions