Info on Amazons

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
5 Congo African Greys, 2 linneolated Parakeets,
Hello, I am a new member, and hoping to get info on which species of Amazons would be a good match for my husband and I. I have read and researched but can't seem to figure out which species are more laid back and easy to handle. Also, how do the Amazons compare to African Greys as far as their noise level and personalities as those are the birds that I have owned for years and what I am used to. I do know, however, that all birds are different as far as how much noise they make, I was just wondering if they are more prone to scream a lot or more talking and sound effects like the greys. I would appreciate any info you have to offer. I read that the Panamas, the lilac crowned Amazons were on the calmer side? Not sure tho! I will wait for your replies! Thanks!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
From what I've read amazons are pretty loud, and unlike African greys the amazons tend to talk in a louder voice as well.

Lilac crowned amazons, and panama amazons are supposed to be pretty sweet and well tempered if raised well.
wpt0308.jpg

6fedbe7f59e330fc8e9fc4ea41e202ba.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I agree with Ashley. Panamas make some of THE best companion Amazons, and so do the Lilac Crowns. The Red Lores are good birds as well.

It all depends on how you raise them and how well you socialize them.

My own nearly 15 year old Yellow Nape hen is unbelievably quiet and snuggly with the entire family. My nearly 2 year old Magna boy can get loud at times, but ONLY in the evenings. He will sing, talk, or whistle rather than screech. :)

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I have DYH Amazon and a Yellow Shouldered Amazon. They both are sweet birds and usually fairly quiet. I would say that my YSA is more sweet and more quiet though. YSA is the smallest of all Zons if you are looking for a smaller bird.
Both my Zons get loud only if they think I need to pay attention to them rather than doing something else.... :). I usually wait till there is a silent moment, go pick them up and do whatever I was doing with them watching me or being part of the activity.
Greys are considered more sensitive to the changes and more prone to plucking than Zons. But just like you have said yourself, each bird is different.
My YSA has a very easy going personality, while my DYHA is a very neurotic bird for a Zon, so go figure............:09:
Hope I didn't confuse you more.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My orange winged amazon is pretty quiet as far as screaming, but talks all the time. He does not like me at all, but is in love with my husband.My yellow crowned is quite loud in the mornings and is not really attached to either of us. He hasn't ever bitten us, but I think he would if we pushed him past his comfort zone. They are both rescues so I think they may react differently to things than one that didn't go through all the issues they have. I completely recommend an amazon, as they are such amazing birds:) Are you thinking of getting a baby or an adult?

OP
E

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
Thanks for your info so far! It is very helpful!! It seems as though Panamas are hard to find where I am in the Midwest, although I don't know if that is true! I love all the Amazons as far as looks go, they are so beautiful! My greys make their share of noises but we don't mind them, it is more humorous than annoying, then again we do have the occasional shrill beep or squeak! I've read certain websites that claim Amazons were one of the noisiest parrots but I know allot has to do with how you raise them and the birds learning how to amuse themselves. I do know though, that the Amazons I have met were hilarious!! My kind of bird!! I am one of these people that has always loved the greys, but always loved the sense of humor and dramatic personalities of the few Amazons I have met! Is there a certain time of year that Amazons are more available? I appreciate all your comments!

OP
E

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
Terry57, I was thinking a baby but would be open to either. I thought being new to Amazons, a baby might be better?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The breeding season is about to start in some States. ;) I'd say start actively looking no later than March-April, as many breeders list their babies as soon as they have hatched. :D

And you're right, Amazons ARE clowns, no ifs, ands or buts. :52:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think that whatever will work best for you is what counts. Babies also need good homes:) I was happy to skip the terrible twos, so to speak, so adults made sense for us. Mine are 14 & 7.

Motogordo

Jan 14, 2014
Media
Delanco, N.J.
Parrots
double yellowhead
chaco bluefront
yellow nape
Jan. 30, 2014

How do different Amazons behave ? I have 3 amazons.
Female Double Head (13 yrs. old.)
Female Yellow Nape (7 yrs. old)
Chaco Blue Front Male ( 9 years old)

As far as noise goes, they can really howl. If I am watching tv in the family room which adjoins the kitchen where the birds are they will get louder then the tv. If I turn the tv off, then they become silent. The louder the tv the louder the Zons get. If I am upstairs in my loft watching tv they will get loud also. When they know I am in the house they want my attention. If they hear me with the tv on, the howling starts. LOl. Turn off the tv and silence.
You would think they could amuse each other and not necessarily care whether I interact or not. Fortunately at night when I turn off the tv and the lights and go to bed, they don't make a peep. When they hear me in the morning they all say "Hello."
One thing I have learned over the years is that when two birds are near each other and yelling, don't stick your arm in between them. They automatically think since they can't reach the other bird then let's bite the hand in between. LOL. One bird is out on the stand and then he flies to the top of one of the others cage, WATCH OUT ! They are in the ATTACK mode. LOL. Why can't they all play together ? Answer: They are Amazons.

Gordon :red1::blue::red:

Attachments

• 3birds.new.JPG
    3birds.new.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I have a blue front zon and...quite frankly, he's a lunatic! LOL! He plays really wildly with his toys, hangs upside down from one foot, swings around (biting each toy within striking distance as he goes in his circle) and batters and shakes the poor toy until it sounds like the cage is going to collapse! Other times, he can sit quietly, playing with foot toys, for an hour or more.

He talks and whistles relatively quietly ...unless he hears music. Than he does his best o sing along and be heard two suburds away! He only 'screams' (neighbours asked if we have a baby goat - hat gives you an idea of the sound he makes) in the evening for about 5minutes to call his flock (us) and remind us that it is dinner and cuddle time.

He can and does bite hard enough to draw blood and leave scars if one isn't careful but also loves footrubs and will sit for several minutes with one foot in the air so I can rub it. During the foot rub, he never ever bites;)

What I am trying to say is that my sweetie is one big contradiction.

Good luck with your choice :)

OP
E

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
Thanks so much for your info about your birds and behavior, they all are so beautiful and sound like such characters and awesome family members!! I ended up finding 2 weaned babies as this breeder told me, one lilac crowned and one red lored. She said the lilac crowned was more affectionate and the other more funny. I have to admit, as much as I am so excited to add one of these Amazons to my flock, I have been asking different breeders and reading so much about noise level and am a bit worried, I have had a few people just say they are considered noisy. I don't mind noise to a point, after having birds for years and owning 3 African greys and 2 linnies, my house isn't quiet but I can distract and handle the noise level here. I have a bird room, so when my greys really get going, I can shut the door too! Lol. They have their playstands and cages throughout the house and love to chatter away but I'm just not sure. I've had people say that they are quieter than conures, Quakers, but close to , macaws??! Some much conflicting info but then again, I know that each bird is different. I love a bird that can be out on a playstand all day interacting with us, but also playing with their toys. I worry because I had rehomed a caique years ago who couldn't stay in one place very long and squawked continuously till he had one on one attention. We had inlaws move in at the time and they were sick and couldn't handle it. I have to be honest, I couldn't take it either. No amount of toys or attention could make him stop. So I will meet a few in person and keep researching. :/

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Emmy, whoever told you, or wherever you heard that an Amazon can be compared to a Macaw noise level wise can't be serious, unless they have a flock of mealies who let lose. ;)

My macs "can" be loud at time, I mean VERY loud, but my Sam (the louder of my Amazons) doesn't even get close to the big macs. :)

brittani299

Nov 19, 2013
Seattle
Parrots
1 Green cheek conure Rudy;
1 Blue Fronted Amazon Tiki:
1 Lilac Crowned Amazon Elvis
My bfa is really quite. He only screams if crows fly by the windows. Then he screams at them. My neighbor who is literally right next door to me because I live in a duplex said he has never heard tiki ever. My amazon talks a lot though. He talks to himself and the cats. He is also really smart! Yesterday in a few hours he learned how to wolf whistle and say oh yeah while we are petting him. Last time I counted he says 20 different woods and usually pretty clearly. His temperament is pretty good usually. He has never lundged at us but he was a rescue so he doesn't trust us all the way yet to step up. I am not sure if this helps you at all but I think my bfa is a pretty awesome amazon!

OP
E

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
Thanks Jerseywendy for reassuring me about the noise not being anywhere near the Macaws, I figured that guy didn't know what he was talking about, lol. So glad to hear that! ; ). Brittani, your tiki sounds like a great bird. I am going to go meet these two older babies, I know I am going to fall in love, I guess it will,depend on the individual bird I guess. As I am typing my Greys are sounding off, and it isn't quiet! One of them is telling the other 2 NO! Haha sometimes it does sound like a funny farm here. How much worse could an Amazon be?! Lol. I did find out that one is a lilac crowned and one is a Mexican red headed? I thought it was a red lored. I will let you all know though

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
Yellow Nape Amazon - Shoku - greatly missed!
I owned a yellow nape for 8ys and he was my biggest joy! He went everywhere with me, even guarded me if I took and nap. The only time he was really loud was when we were playing or if he was having an argument with the crows outside. Sadly, as I got married and had kids he just couldn't handle the competition and became extremely aggressive/jealous and began to self mutilate. So with a heavy heart I re-homed him (biggest regret of my life). So if you don't see your life changing (ie having kids) that a YNA are amazing companions!
I have had experience watching a lilac crown and he was a gem! Even with my son, who is autistic always trying to get a reaction out of him he never bit! He hardly spoke but loved to make his own sounds. He wasnt really affectionate but always wanted to be with me.
So I guess it depends on wether you want a clown or pal. Of course it's all in the rearing. Gl on your decision!
Also, with all zons sex makes a big difference too. Males have larger hormone serges that many find very difficult to handle. Females can have them too but not to the same degree.

OP
E

emmy414

Jan 29, 2014
Parrots
Girl4jesus, thanks for your info! After much thought and research, I brought my new Lilac Crown baby home 2 days ago! I swear I loved her the minute I saw her, she seemed very interested in me too. It seemed like a great match so I bought her. She is 5 months old and beautiful! So blessed to have her!

Most Reactions

Latest posts