Getting better but still won't step up

brittani299

Nov 19, 2013
Seattle
Parrots
1 Green cheek conure Rudy;
1 Blue Fronted Amazon Tiki:
1 Lilac Crowned Amazon Elvis
I have have my 5 year old bfa tiki for 6 weeks now. He for sure likes males the best. He isn't afraid to sleep in his cage now. He use to super afraid of the inside of it. I can also pet all over his head and under his beak. He is slowly slowly eating pellets like 1 a day maybe. I am feeding him tops. But I can't get him to step up at all. He will freak out when you ask him to. We have tried sticks and that really freaks him out. I am pretty sure he was abused with them. I am trying to target train him but I won't always respond to it. I have let his food run out overnight and tried training him at like 11am. And he won't have anything to do with it. What is the best way to get him over this trust issue of step up. It isn't hand fear because he will let me pet him. Thanks :)

Last edited:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
It just takes time, our DYH amazon took over 3 months to step up and even then it wasn't all the time. That didn't happen till the 5 month mark. Now he does every time. My boy doesn't like sticks either. Just keep working with him, once he bonds it will be easier.

Most Reactions

Latest posts