Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Please help get this video removed from National Geographic.

Self explanatory really…

https://www.facebook.com/natgeowild/videos/10154131625095930/?hc_location=ufi

People have been going on and saying "oh how sweet I want to get my dog a bird friend now" and it's really not good.

Please write a note to them. If enough people complain they might take it down.

Its okay to have birds and to have dogs… but this kind of interaction is DANGEROUS.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
over 400 post. Most negative . Serena Williams the owner of the bird and dog posted defended herself.
Merlin is still alive 6 months after filming! It's a miracle!!

Does this make it okay then that the video is encouraging something that can so easily go terribly wrong?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
over 400 post. Most negative . Serena Williams the owner of the bird and dog posted defended herself.
Merlin is still alive 6 months after filming! It's a miracle!!

Does this make it okay then that the video is encouraging something that can so easily go terribly wrong?

No I never even implied it was ok.

In fact emailed them like you requested.

I just posted a quote from the owner

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie

No I never even implied it was ok.

In fact emailed them like you requested.

I just posted a quote from the owner

I'm so sorry Christine, I didn't realize you were quoting her. I didn't mean to upset you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for posting this, Sarah. Just posted a scathing denunciation on the FB page. The horrible attempt to normalize an instinctual aberrant behavior is disgusting. :mad::mad::mad:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I saw the tv show tis was shown:eek:
I was very worried about the bird. That dog could easly injure or kill without meaning to.not counting his natural instinct.
I cant help wondering about the bacteria the bird would be picking up from the mouth of the dog.
I had to treat my RLA with antibiotics because of bacteria we humans accidentally transferd to her.
Texsize

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I saw the tv show tis was shown:eek:
I was very worried about the bird. That dog could easly injure or kill without meaning to.not counting his natural instinct.
I cant help wondering about the bacteria the bird would be picking up from the mouth of the dog.
I had to treat my RLA with antibiotics because of bacteria we humans accidentally transferd to her.
Texsize

Here is a good thread on that.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/16313-myth-about-cat-dog-saliva-2.html

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Thanks for digging up that post Christine.

My vet recommended I never let my bird interact with the cats, because of the danger of their saliva... I'm not really sure why people are so quick to anger about being told factual information.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Dogs and cats should never be allowed to interact with birds on that level. Gram negative bacteria from mammals present a very real danger to the avian system, but the predatory instincts of dogs and cats are even more of a danger.

Sweet and loving interactions between predatory mammals and birds are aberrant behaviors. We should never forget that. It may seem cute, but every second of such interaction is that dog or cat denying it's true nature. That's a lot of responsibility to put on said dog or cat. Can you really blame them for a lapse in which their true nature reveals itself?

Yes, Sarah. That is a terrible video that can fool people into thinking that such interaction is to be encouraged. I truly hope it gets taken down soon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Just the sheer size and nature of a dog is reason enough to restrict this kind of behavior and interaction.

That's like letting a gorilla play with a three year old child.

Most Reactions