Injured Wild Bird ❗️❗️

Teza2plays

Jan 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet
My friends and I saw this bird flapping around in the backyard so we got it (with gloves). We think it’s possibly a young dove? It can’t fly and there’s definitely something wrong with its face. I have a dog and parrots at home so I just want to know if I should bring it home or leave it outside. I’ve set up a temporary cage for it in the farthest part of the house from my parrots. Was wondering what kind of bird this was and what was wrong with it? Also what we could possibly do to care for it?

IMG_9908.jpeg
IMG_9909.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh no! Thank you for trying to help the poor thing. I’d cover the cage with a sheet to help reduce stress. Are there any wildlife rehab centers in your area?

I have edited your post to place the photos within a spoiler because the injuries are a bit graphic.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
That’s some kind of infection for sure - not clear if it is from an injury or disease. Please keep it away from your other pets, and make sure to follow quarantine protocol.

As far as care, your best bet is to reach out to the nearest wildlife rehabilitation facility. If you’re in the US, it’s illegal in most states to keep wildlife without a permit.

In the US, you can try and find one here:

If you’re international, there’s a resource directory here:

I hope the little guy pulls through.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Even though there was a spoiler alert that is still tough to see. Not sure if it's from a disease or injury/wound but it's nasty.

It's sitting up on a perch which is a good sign, a sick bird sometimes won't have the balance to stay on a perch and will stay on the bottom of the cage Instead.

If you have nowhere to send it like an animal rehab then keep it isolated from your pets, give it access to water and food and monitor its progress.
Hopefully that facial growth resolves itself and you can let it back into the wild.

I've rescued some wild birds before. One was a juvenile crimson rosella (i think). It must of got hit by a car, I found it in the gutter and lifeless, I thought it was dead. But a birds powers of recovery is far more superior than that of humans and that little Rosella ended up surviving

So please don't give up.
Keep us posted on its progress

Last edited:

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It was very kind of you to try to help this little bird! If you cannot get it to a rehab facility and if the bird will let you, I would suggest trying to clean up that nasty spot on its face using a soft rag soaked in warm water. Doves eat grains so it can have chicken feed or crushed bird pellets and of course clean water. As other posters have stated, keep this bird quarantined from your other animals and wash your hands VERY thoroughly after doing anything with it. Besides disease/infection wild birds can also carry parasites so it’s best to take every precaution. Good luck with this little bird and please do let us know how it is doing! ❤️

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Thank you for helping this poor bird.
Please take it to a wildlife carer or a vet.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's easy to say "take it to a vet" but you have to acknowledge that they cost $400 an hour even more.
I simply can't afford to pay a vet that much money every time i find an injured bird. I do find injured and stray birds regularly.
I just have to nurse them myself.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
It's easy to say "take it to a vet" but you have to acknowledge that they cost $400 an hour even more.
I simply can't afford to pay a vet that much money every time i find an injured bird. I do find injured and stray birds regularly.
Many vets rehab wildlife for free! My local one does. Worth a check to find out.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Is the lower beak intack? Hard to see from the pictures. If so the bird will scab up, heal up, and probably be ok. If not it might be so ....opportunistic.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
A vet that sees pets generally will not see wildlife. You need to take injured wildlife to rehabbers. It's good for everyone (who cares) to know in advance who to call when the need arises rather than wait until you have a wounded critter on your hands.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
A vet that sees pets generally will not see wildlife. You need to take injured wildlife to rehabbers. It's good for everyone (who cares) to know in advance who to call when the need arises rather than wait until you have a wounded critter on your hands.
Good point. I went to google maps and searched "injured wildlife rehab" and sure enough there is at least one on my side of town

Most Reactions

Latest posts