Intelligence potential of a ornery old amazon?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Can amazons be trained to identify shapes and colors or to solve puzzles? Does this type of training have to be taught to them young, or could a slightly ornery older one still learn some new things? Does anyone have an amazon of this level of intelligence? I know a lot of people have CAGS of this level of intelligence, but despite always hearing amazons could (though not as often) learn these things, I've never actually heard of a specific case of a zon being *that* smart. Yes, it is EXACTLY what you think the reason is I'm asking this;):green:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
344332.jpg

Since we can't go outside during the winter, I thought something like this might be fun. Kiwi is pretty intelligent in his understanding of cue words and puzzle toys. We now own almost all the puzzle foraging toys on the market, and he's figured them all out! I don't know if I'm that interested in him spinning in circles kind of trick training, but I think something like this would be fun and increase his intelligence too by having to broaden his thinking to obtain a treat...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They absolutely can be taught that one easily... Sally does that one.

What happens isn't that they aren't intelligent, it that no one bothers to teach them and they sit until their brains turn to mush...

The other thing that happens with zons, is people attempt to force this stuff on them until they rebel... i.e. chomp...

And there is the fact that he may recoil in horror at the sight of the thing at first, before accepting it.

Joanie Doss' parrots perform several shows a day, and include all sorts of complex tricks...

Amazons are near the top of the smart bird category.

They are also AT the top of the fiercely independent category.

It's not that they're not smart. It may be that "I don't wanna."

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What happens isn't that they aren't intelligent, it that no one bothers to teach them and they sit until their brains turn to mush...

LOVE that part, Mark!!! So true!

April, if anyone can teach Kiwi - it's YOU!!! Go for it, and have FUN doing it!!! :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Does Sally actually distinguish between the shapes/colors or just puts the puzzle together? Not that Kiwi *needs* to do any of those if he can't, but he likes things that make him think and I don't want his brain turning to mush;) He's such an inquisitive little guy and since he doesn't want me to cuddle on him, "playing a game" with him would be a good non-contact way to interact:).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sally just puts the puzzle together.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
April, that looks like a great way to spend a winter day with Kiwi, but I don't think it will take him long to figure the puzzle out. And who are you calling old and ornery?

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Can amazons be trained to identify shapes and colors or to solve puzzles? Does this type of training have to be taught to them young, or could a slightly ornery older one still learn some new things? Does anyone have an amazon of this level of intelligence? I know a lot of people have CAGS of this level of intelligence, but despite always hearing amazons could (though not as often) learn these things, I've never actually heard of a specific case of a zon being *that* smart. Yes, it is EXACTLY what you think the reason is I'm asking this;):green:

Hi Kiwi,
How old are we talking in the "slightly ornery older one"/ Poppie, My blue fronted Amazon is 8 years old in January. And I have put thinking type toys out for her on her perch, and in her cage, as well as on top. She basically ignors them even after I show her how to do it 100's of times. My grey will get it after showing him a couple times. Amazons aren't in any way lacking intelligence, I'm wondering if perhaps it doesn't spark the curiosity.

The reason I say this is because My Zon, has a very huge volcabulary, my wife and I counted 1325 words she can say, in sentences. Can sing An entire song, 5 different songs. Where she actually thinks about "what is said" and how she will respond back with a response. Now that takes intelligent thinking skills. Problem solving skills like the toys and puzzels you mentioned I haven't heard many Zons exceeding Greys in that category. Though not impossible, just need to develop some training techniques that work for that. She does have the curiosity at times to investigate the puzzle toys, and games, but then moves on and rather sing a song. Amazons are music loving birds, where greys could care less at times, they like to figure things out, like untie knots, that takes thinking skills.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
They absolutely can be taught that one easily... Sally does that one.

The other thing that happens with zons, is people attempt to force this stuff on them until they rebel... i.e. chomp...

And there is the fact that he may recoil in horror at the sight of the thing at first, before accepting it.

Joanie Doss' parrots perform several shows a day, and include all sorts of complex tricks...

Amazons are near the top of the smart bird category.

They are also AT the top of the fiercely independent category.

It's not that they're not smart. It may be that "I don't wanna."

That's it....the " I don't wanna" attitude...My Zon will say no at times when trying to teach a trick or puzzle.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Kiwi is about 16. He's very smart and loves his thinking (foraging) toys. He loves them SO MUCH he's figured every one of them out (we have about 10 of the acrylic ones in various skill levels, including a couple that are hard for ME lol) and they are no longer a challenge for him. And it's funny you bring up knots.... Kiwi will spend all afternoon untying knots in his favorite leather knot toy. This is the same bird who potty trained himself and understands the difference between "yours" (his) and "mine". That's why I want to work with him on an actual puzzle and utilize his target training for something useful. I'm sure he can figure out the puzzle assembly part, but I'm more curious about what exactly the limits of his cognitive abilities are (i.e. with enough time could he learn basic shapes and colors). I've never heard of an amazon being able to do that (shapes+colors) only african grays. And I've especially not heard of a mature amazon learning those things and am curious if it is even possible.

He is not a talker though, in fact he has the most limited range of bird noises I've ever heard. His first 2 homes did not treat him well, and as a result he cannot talk or fly. I think age-wise, those ships have sailed developmentally. He does seem to be able to learn other things though:) And he like non-contact interaction sometimes, but as with your zon and Mark's zons, he has to be in the right mood or he refuses.

Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Hi Kiwi,

That's neat that your zon can do puzzels, tricks and that. I have been trying with Poppy for some time, she'll pick them up and have a little play but then looks at me like ....not interested in these...what else you have...

But she is a good flyer, will fly in and land on my arm when I come in from out side, saying "Hi Guys, do an up up? Come on come on hurry, awww poppy is a good girl, where'd you go?....All in one sentence. She's a snuggle bunny, and loves to go bye bye. Took here with me on my shoulder in truck to pick up my wife from work at the worlds largest Christmas store. She loves the sights of Christmas town. When My wife gets in the truck, she's like " Ohhh ma ma, up up, awwwww, poppie wants mama"

I'll have to experiment with puzzles as I have a 3 x4 foot wooden chest full of bird toys I rotate...not much interest her. One thing she liked, believe it or not is a pair of toddler (new of course) sneakers. Plays and plays with that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts