Interacting wild and pet birds?

Lukask

Dec 9, 2011
Minnesota
Parrots
Luna- GCC, Stella- Caique
I have finally opened some windows in my home since it's supposed to be in the 70's today. Luna sits in the window and watches/listens to the song birds outside the window but never tries to chirp or interact. Can different species of birds understand one anothers sounds? Can she understand what the birds outside are communicating about?

Or is it comparable to us speaking a different language. You can hear one another and read body language, but you dont understand what is actually being said?

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I highly doubt that they can instinctively understand each other as numerous studies have shown that birds need to learn a lot of their communication skills. They can probably read some body language but probably don't understand most from different species especially if the wild birds are not parrots.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I agree with Stephen. I think they each have their own languages. I do get wild birds that land on the window frames though to see my parrots. It happened yesterday, and Merlin was concerned about it.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
There is a little bird that has been coming here for years (I think some kind of woodpecker actually), that lands on my window frame, and always came to visit my BCC. Well, it's back now for spring this year, but Bri is no longer with me. It keeps coming and looking for her. It scares Merlin though. Interesting how years can go by, and that bird keeps returning to my house. At least I think it's always the same bird.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I had a crow that teased Merlin last summer. He would fly from window to window to find him, Merlin would freak out. I would close the blind & move him & that **** crow would find him again. lol

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hi, A melanin defficent male robin returned to approx a hundred yards of my home for. D.D. several years. I wish I could have interbread his young. Whether they understand or not I am still amazed every time I hear the grey answer a cannary sized bird at the same sound, volume and pitch

Most Reactions