Interesting info about Greys!

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
Maybe this has been seen before...
But it's new to me. I find it quite interesting. I'm researching possibly getting a grey.

YOU AND YOUR AFRICAN GREY
By Jane Hallander
Here is the link
You and Your African Grey, By Jane Hallander

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Hi Casey , I have a TAG , he is almost 7 mos. old and I have had him for about 2 1/2 mos. He is an awesome bird, with a great personality. He does prefer me to anybody else in the house , likes my daughters if i'm not available and really does not care for my sons or my husband at all. I did a lot a research before deciding on a Grey and could not be happier with him. I chose the TAG because I thought it would be a better fit for our family rather than the CAG . Since there are 7 of us living here our house can get kinda loud and active , but he fits in perfectly : )

OP
C

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
Parrot mamma,Parrotmamma
why the TAG?
I've heard and read so many conflicting things about CAG'S &TAG'S some say they are different some say they are the same. But I'm looking for a definitive answer.
What is your experience with the difference?
I'm almost convinced to get a grey. But now which one TAG or CAG

Thanks

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I went with the TAG because from what I read and from what a couple different breeders had said.... that usually they are less phobic , not as shy and more outgoing than CAGS. Plus I like their darker coloring over the CAG and they are a little smaller. I'm not saying all CAGS are scared and phobic, I am sure there are CAGS out there that are just fine and have none of the issues mentioned. I was just afraid with my luck If I got a CAG and he was very timid that my household might be to much for him. we have 5 kids , 2 dogs , 2 guinea pigs , 2 hamsters , 2 rabbits a GCC and a one legged chicken and 1 dear ,patient husband ....lol
You could always go and see both kinds and maybe see what fits you . I did, and the little TAGS flew straight to my head and then they climed down and were trying to get in my purse...so cute : ) and the CAGS seemed more cautious and took a little more time to warm up to me.
They are both amazing birds : )

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
It is a nice article. I have three CAGs and use to breed them as well as TAGs. I think what you have to take into consideration is that there are more CAGs in the avian community compared to TAGs. Therefor more CGS are reported as pluckers, etc.
I have known several plucking TAGs as well as aggressive and shy or fearful TAGs. I do not agree with the term phobic when referring to greys. These are highly intelligent birds that are very capable of expressing their fears, shyness, desires, anger and love.
The only differences between the two are color, size and price. Both make excellent companions, both have the ability to talk, to love us.

OP
C

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
It is a nice article. I have three CAGs and use to breed them as well as TAGs. I think what you have to take into consideration is that there are more CAGs in the avian community compared to TAGs. Therefor more CGS are reported as pluckers, etc.
I have known several plucking TAGs as well as aggressive and shy or fearful TAGs. I do not agree with the term phobic when referring to greys. These are highly intelligent birds that are very capable of expressing their fears, shyness, desires, anger and love.
The only differences between the two are color, size and price. Both make excellent companions, both have the ability to talk, to love us.

Thanks seems to be alot of controversy about the differences

Most Reactions