Interesting (Peculiar?) Caique Behavior

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
Hi everyone! (You'll find an introductory note from me in the New Members thread.) I've been searching the forums and haven't been able to find an answer to this (nor can I in any of my caique/parrot reference materials). If this question has, in fact, been addressed elsewhere in the forums, I'd very much appreciate being directed that way.

In any event, Eliza, my three-year old (though new to me) Black-Headed Caique, has recently started an interesting behavior that I'm quite curious about. If I lie down on the hallway rug with her, she'll immediately do the "Here, Dad, I've been saving this just for you" regurgitation move, then she'll eventually sort of push her head against my forearm, hands, chest, or whatever part of me she can get to that's in contact with the floor. With her head bowed, she'll then slightly grip the rug with her beak, and then start scratching, with one leg and then the other. Usually, she'll close her eyes as well. I get the feeling she'll do this as long as I want to lay there. I should mention, it's not like she's wanting to burrow under my arms or hands. In fact, I tried lifting them slightly so she could get under, and she immediately moved to where my body was in contact with the floor and then started over again. Additionally, her vent is not in contact with the floor, so it doesn't seem to be anything sexual in nature.

It's not anything she seems to be angry or stressed about--in fact, she seems to quite enjoy it. She makes her little "purring" noise occasionally. I actually get a kick out of it as well. However, she refuses to tell me exactly what's she's doing no matter how many times I ask, so I thought I'd ask some humans here if anyone has observed a similar behavior with their birds.

Many thanks to all!
Derek (and Eliza)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Yep, sounds like surfing to me too.

OP
dskidd

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
Greetings! Many thanks for the responses. You know, I've heard the term "surfing," but had been under the impression that was more like what she does when she's on my hand, and then uses the thumb on my other hand as a sort of rubbing post.

Anyway, she's still doing it, and seemingly enjoys it every bit as much. It's actually rather relaxing. Well, for me, that is...she seems to be pretty intense!

The owner of my local bird shop suggested her behavior might indicate Eliza is attempting to breed with me. Which means I'm either going to have to break her heart, or wind up in the New England Journal of Medicine. Either that, or the circus, I suppose... :p

Once again, many thanks for the responses, and my best wishes to all,
Derek

Most Reactions