Intro to my baby and cry for help!

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots
17 yr old Lutino cockatiel

9 month Purple IRN
Hi everyone!
So early this year, around may I purchased an IRN from a so called "breeder". I actually feel like I saved this bird from them, but that's neither here nor there

I'm working very hard to tame him/her. I gather this baby is about 9 months and very shy and afraid. In the beginning I'll would let ithe roam around the living room to explore and exercise but it just hid under the couch. Thankfully recently he's become fond of running around and actually exploring he seems to be a bit of a loner, which I think is because when I got him, he was sharing a cage with a cockatoo! Hence why I think he's so timid.

I know these babies are very hard to tame but I'm hoping for any kind of help/feedback! I've done lots of reading and watching of YouTube videos but am not impressed. While reading through this forum and lot of you guys seem really knowledgeable. .....so please help!! I want a happy, loving baby!

So below is baby Bowie, 2 pics were obviously with flash and one without. ( I just love how vibrant flash makes him! )

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
That third photo looks like he's keen to be on you so that's awesome :) They're often independent birds.
What is his staple food? Try finding a shallow tray with that in it, and add in a stainless steel bolt. some bottle top lids, and a scrunched up piece of paper. The food might encourage him to risk exploring the other things in the tray - which may become fun :)

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
He will be on me briefly and will tolerate head rubs only when I'm holding him. He doesn't struggle and always makes the most adorable purring sound.

He hates bolts! He attacks the ones he sees on his cage lol but loovveessss shredding paper and whatever else he can destroy.

Food wise he is nuts for oatmeal and mashed sweet potatoes. His fav small treats that I use to train are these small yogurt drops

I really like that tray idea tho!I'm definitely doing that! Thank u :)

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
Also, he picks at his tail, any suggestions to stop this? When my cockatiel was plucking his chest I was able to get him to stop by keeping him with me as much as possible. With bowie I have been doing the same, but I can't help but think I should be doing more?

Ps he has lots of toys to keep him busy

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
By picking at his tail, do you mean he's getting rid of the covering sheath on developing feathers? Or actually barbering/plucking them?

For toys, do you also happen to have foraging toys or puzzles as well? They're an awesome way to keep intelligent birds like IRNs super busy.

As for taming, he sounds quite tame considering he allows you to pet him and is willing to be on or near you. It can take awhile for them to warm up, but once they make a bond with you it feels almost unbreakable. My IRN is probably one of the most forgiving birds I know... and he's also so willing to just start on a blank slate each day. It's really rewarding when you have a strong relationship with them, because they're the type of bird to really let you know they love you - or so I've experienced. Shiko seeks me out just to be with me, or will come to me when he wants to be loved by me. It's the sweetest thing.

Just be careful about giving them too much time. You don't want him to become too dependent on you for entertainment and then develop separation anxiety or not be able to self entertain. It's always awesome to give them as much time as possible, but if you can't always give it behavioural problems can arise.

By the way, Bowie is absolutely beautiful! Looks like a turquoise colouration. Absolutely stunning [emoji4]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
As time goes by he will trust you more. IF he allows you to run his head, that's a good sign that he's willing to try to befriend you. Give it time! And please do explain a bit more on the tail issue.

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
So in the beginning on the tips of his tail you would see a pinch mark on the bottom portion of his feathers which the vet said was due to stress, then a few weeks later I found them on the ground. Then when a longer feather started to grow in, he got rid of that too! I'm not sure if they fall out bc he is a clumsy baby or stressed? As of late in think it's clumsyness....he is still a bad flyer

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
It almost looks to me that he has no flight feathers? Is he clipped?

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
My vet clipped them, saying it would be good for us to bond? I trusted her, but was uneasy about it. I have read that is bad for them so young bc their chest muscles need to develop. By now some have grown back because he gets lift, but doesn't really hit the landing. I would imagine this is due to no tail feathers

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Lovely Bird... the flash does bring out the beautiful color in it.

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
Thank you! I'm so proud haha I can't to see if it's a boy. Those colors with that ring would be gorgeous!

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
Look who's being social!

Attachments

• 20151206_113935.jpg
    20151206_113935.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
Chantal,
My cocktail is super loving the way you described your IRN! I love that bond and hope to make one just as special with bowie over time

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Aww, look at Bowie being all social! They really do thrive in environments where they get lots of interaction. I have no doubt in my mind that you'll have a great bond with Bowie as you do your cockatiel [emoji4]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Since he is still a young bird, they're really bad about destroying their tails. Give him till the next molt, it should be better once he matures a bit more. Make sure his cage is big enough though!

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
I'll post cage pics later, it's definitely big enough!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Bowie is a real beauty! You are already making excellent progress. Love the photos of him being social.

I'm sure he has a great cage with plenty of space. Not having a cockatoo in his cage is probably a huge bonus.

OP
N

Natoleee

Dec 1, 2015
New York
Parrots

9 month Purple IRN
Hiii friends! Sorry this took so long but here are my cages! Fyi, both birds are NEVER out together it was just for the picture. Bowie hates Angel and poor Angel is constantly trying to sing and befriend him! Cute but sad lol

Attachments

• 20151216_191716.jpg
    20151216_191716.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 168

Most Reactions