Introducing 2 eclectus'

msacks

Aug 29, 2011
Hello :)

I have a 4 year old male Eclectus. He was showing serious signs of sexual frustration (plucking, regurgatating, et cetera). So, we were advised to introduce him to a female. When we went to the breeder's home, Buddy (the male eclectus) and Recee (the female eclectus) immediately started bonding (talking to each other, feeding each other,) and showing signs of acceptance of one another. So, we decided to get her. When we got home we slowly let them hangout together in the cage. This is where it all went bad; Buddy and Recee were beak fighting and being aggressive with one another. Obviously, we removed them both from the cage, and ever since then, we have let them take turns in the cage while the other takes a shower, or plays on the play pen.

Buddy (male eclectus) is not ok with her in his cage right now, but we would like them to eventually be ok with it. His cage is plenty big enough for 2. Any advice on what to do? Right now we have Recee's small travel cage next to Buddy's big cage. We were advised to let them decide if/when they're ok with sharing the big cage with one another.

Also, Recee (11 month old female) is a bit aggressive. She is not to happy about stepping up without positive reinforcement (treats, etc). Any advice on how to start training her?

Our 4 year old male, Buddy, has never been aggressive towards us and was very easy to train. He is always nice with whom ever. Are females typically harder to train and bond with?

Any suggustions/comments are appreciated very much!

Robyn

Sep 9, 2009
Media
Hi there,
From my own experience with my male eclectus Jack , he is possessive of 'his ' area, his cage if you get too close such as cleaning it or taking out his food bowls to fill.
When I try to start replacing the paper , he tries to get inside and when he succeeds will bite.
I have also read that they can become possessive of their property.
I haven't really heard of 2 sharing a cage when the 2nd has come much later. Is there room to consider a 2nd cage or maybe 2 slightly smaller cages ? That might be your best bet.
Robyn

Robyn

Sep 9, 2009
Media
If you also check out places like YouTube, they show there that their eclectuses have their own cages. When it comes to cages when they have been on their own, some are not good sharers of their little space.

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
The breeding habits of eclectus are very impersonal.
Most females have many multiple partners.
For the most part, people tend to separate eclectus, regardless of sex, when it comes to cages.
They may be perfectly friendly with one another outside of the cage during the day, but I would definitely recommend investing in a second cage.
They require their private time and territory.

Robyn

Sep 9, 2009
Media
I agree.... I have never really heard of a 2nd eclectus coming in to share the cage of another, not to say that it's never happened.
But from speaking to other parrot owners and all the reading I've done and my own parrot, they really do prefer their own space and cage. They aren't very good sharers of their cage.
From experience with my own parrot, he doesn't even like me cleaning his cage or taking out his bowls, I need to take him totally away for me to clean and refill his bowls, can be a bit possessive.
Sorry to say, 2 birdys 2 cages.

Last edited:

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Just some advise here, I agree, seperate cage for both Eclectus unless you want to pair bond them for breeding, if not, you must seperate them. In the wild the male eclectus hang out together and the females hang out together, only when mating do they ever come together, this is the reason until just within the past 12-15 years did people figure out that they are the same spiecies.
It would have been better to get a 2nd male eclectus.
I belong to a bird club here in MD and all members bring their birds to our meetings. My Eclectus does have a rescue girlfriend that a member brings with them and my Guapo is in love with her, she too is very fond of my boy, they get along pretty well but I think if they lives in the same house, their relationship would not be that strong.
They may grow to seek out eachothers company but my thoughts here that they most likely will not. Best of luck to you and with your Eclectus. Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts