Introducing Casey!!

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
Casey the Budgerigar and Wyatt the Cockatiel
Went and got my little feather baby yesterday!

Casey is a nominate green budgie. Currently too young for me to tell whether Casey is a guy or girl. I'll just say 'he' for now... He is untamed as of now, but is mostly good with us in the room. He is currently on a diet of Avian Science Parakeet seed mix and the parakeets at the shop were also eating corn, apple, and orange. I'l be working with that and I will be getting pellets (Zupreem or Roudybush?). I've seen him eat, and he likes to chew on the rainbow shredders I got.

Any advice for a new budgie owner is welcome. As I know everyone on here likes pictures, I'll be providing them eventually...:greenyellow:

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Budgies are great. Sounds like you've done your research. Just work at the bird's pace. Use treats for enticement and let him come to you.

I really came in for the pictures ;)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome Casey!

He sounds adorable, looking forward to photos!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Yay a budgie! After years of parrots, I can say that budgies are definitely among my favorite species. They're irresistibly adorable. I'm happy for you. :)

That's great that Casey is already eating. I'd take advantage of the fact that he is already used to 'some' fresh vegetables. Now is the time he's more likely to try new foods if you slowly add in different variety with the fresh foods he's currently accepting.
Try hanging leafy greens in the cage too. Many budgies love that. Although it's hard to keep leaves from wilting right away when the weather is warmer. Don't forget the millet! Little pieces are great as training treats.

I bet that if you keep working with Casey after he is settled in and familiar, you will have a tame and closely bonded little friend :). Many times, a single budgie who is bonded to you will even learn to talk!
I'll leave you with an amazing video ;) https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=talking+budgie+videos&fr=yset_chr_syc_oracle&type=orcl_default

OP
W

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
Is it normal for a new bird to run around the cage as if he's trying to get out? Casey has been rushing around and climbing and nibbling at the bars.:confused:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think Casey is just wondering what happened, where he is in this strange new environment. Sure, it's normal.

Can I ask how big your cage is? What sort of cage/bin/enclosure was he in at the store? If he was from a much larger enclosure, it could be that he is not used to being in a smaller space too.

Have you opened the cage door? If not, make sure the room is safe (no mammals around and doors closed) and see if he'll explore. Don't make him come out, but you can see if he is wanting to. Is he flighted or clipped?

OP
W

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
At the store he was in a approx. 4 foot x 5 foot x10 foot flight with a bunch of other budgies. Now he's in a 30"x18"x18". I did let him out, but he started chewing just about everything he came up to (including my pinky) so I put him back. He has stuff to chew, a length of rainbow shredder and a Wesco bird kabob.

Last edited:
OP
W

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
Oh, and his wings weren't clipped but I had them clipped when I got him. Not sure if it was the best choice

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Yay! Welcome Casey =) From what I've seen budgies tend to be on the hyper side. I'd say be ready to try to keep up with him =)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Although I'm usually against clipping for budgies, it can be beneficial at this point, so he won't go crashing into walls or windows, and it does make hand training so much easier. Later you can let the wings grow out, or give just a slight clip depending on what your situation warrants.

He'll start acting 'like himself' eventually. He's so new now it's hard to say what his temperament is really like. Hang in there.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Welcome to you and Casey he sounds like he's a busy boy and is investigating everything around him with his little beak...enjoy him and enjoy the forum :)

OP
W

wingsNthings

Mar 13, 2016
Texas
Parrots
Unfortunately I can't post pictures, even after following the directions in the 'How To Post Pictures' thread. I was able to upload them to my albums, so feel free to go on there to see Casey! He is used to us but very quiet. He hasn't eaten anything but seeds since he has been here, which will hopefully change. He is so cute!!! :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Casey is such a little cutie! :) Nice pics.

Really, the easiest way to post pics to the forum is to sign up for a free Photobucket account and upload from there. That is the method we recommend and what most of us use.

Judging by the last pic, it looks like Casey is a little boy. If in real life his cere (above the beak) is a uniform pinkish color, that is typical of an immature male. If it is more light bluish white that indicates female.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Yay a budgie! After years of parrots, I can say that budgies are definitely among my favorite species. They're irresistibly adorable. I'm happy for you. :)

That's great that Casey is already eating. I'd take advantage of the fact that he is already used to 'some' fresh vegetables. Now is the time he's more likely to try new foods if you slowly add in different variety with the fresh foods he's currently accepting.
Try hanging leafy greens in the cage too. Many budgies love that. Although it's hard to keep leaves from wilting right away when the weather is warmer. Don't forget the millet! Little pieces are great as training treats.

I bet that if you keep working with Casey after he is settled in and familiar, you will have a tame and closely bonded little friend :). Many times, a single budgie who is bonded to you will even learn to talk!
I'll leave you with an amazing video ;) https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=talking+budgie+videos&fr=yset_chr_syc_oracle&type=orcl_default

OMG!! I just watched the video of Disco! AMAZING! what a vocabulary and clear as a bell..very impressive lol.

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Budgies are really cool birdies..my first bird was a Budge..They are usually quite vocal,with twittling and chirping..even some talk quite well. They can be bossy and persistant. But a tame budgie is the coolest thing going! So much energy for such a tiny creature :) If you take the time to tame him right,he/she will give you years of laughter and love.

Jim

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Welcome Casey and Congratulations on your new addition to the family. I love budgies they are Adorable ..cant wait to see pics of Casey...in a new home they can test every bar to see if there is an escape route and they are really smart so if you have sliding doors Id secure them for although I only babysit two budgies from time to time I do know that they are ingenious at letting themselves in and out of their cage at will so the doors have to be secured really well including the doors at the seed trays in case of accidents...watch him as he sounds like a little acrobat hee hee...you will have lots of fun with Casey they are such fun :)

Most Reactions