Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
I would like to introduce my new flock member. His (tbc) name is Malakai and he is blue (the only photo I have shows him as green, so will get another one soon, I promise)
I got him from the Trading Post and picked him up last Thursday. The lady I got him from has very poor english, and the story kept changing or else I didnt understand. She said he is approx 7-8mths old.
He had a checkup at the a-vet this morning. He is a little on the small side at 102gm (the lady told me he was very big, therefore a boy??!!??) had him dna sexed more for the vet care and records, than me cos I dont care either way, tested for Chlamydia. Vet looked him over and was quite aghast at the wing clip his previous people gave, absolutely terrible. The outer feathers are long and they are hacked very short closer to his body, right wing much shorter thn left wing, so vet tidied that up a little but I do need to be very careful he doesnt crash land cos he will hurt his chest - he already has one bruise on there, poor little mite. (I keep my birds flighted) I just hope no damage has been done to his little wings and I hope they moult out soon.

Malakai joins Bailey (cinn gcc) and Billy and Harry (budgies). Rory tiel flew out the door on Saturday 24th Sept, my dog can open the sliding door with his snout. I was standing right there, I cannot believe Rory went out through approx 8ins of door space when he wouldnt even fly through the door (approx 30in) into another room where I would be folding the washing -I would have to go and get him and carry him into the other room yet he flew out a slightly ajar door - I dont understand. I had been training Rory on flight recall indoors but I guess he was so shocked that he was outside, he just didnt listen. He went out the side door and flew over the top of pitched roof to other side. We called, called and ran to the other side but by the time we got there he was gone. We drove, called, walked, placed fliers, parrotalert, vets etc but we didnt get him back. Such a loss of a beautiful bird. I didnt replace Rory with quaker, I have always wanted a quaker and/or a rainbow lorikeet. I will admit tho, the house was so quiet without the little munchkin and seeing his empty cage every day was just so sad. I was looking for another fluffbutt and I saw this one, felt so sorry for him and his living conditions that I just had to step up and get him and am I glad I did.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Good luck with Malakai, so glad you are his guardian, knowing he will be loved and well looked after.
Sorry for the loss of Rory........

Most Reactions

Latest posts