Introducing, my baby girl KNUCKLES!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you for sharing Knuckle's beautiful story. I know she will have a loving home. I wish you the best of luck. I sure don't want to dampen your spirits in any way but since you have one of the larger toos and she's very young, you might want to reconsider shouldering her. I say so because once learned, it's a hard habit to break. I know a lot of too owners allow their birds on their shoulders but until you know your bird really well and can trust her in any situation that beak is very close to the face while she's on your shoulder. The other thing is if you allow other people to handle your bird, she will want to sit on their shoulders and is more likely to bite someone she doesn't know well. It's entirely up to you of course, maybe I'm overly cautious.

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
While I think it is a myth that baby birds are less challenging (and more suited to beginners) than already mature birds, I can in no way fault you for falling in love with her! She is adorable. I hope to have a citron one day, if/when the stars align. :heart:

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Hi Allee. Yes I don't plan on allowing Knuckles to sit on my shoulder, and I definitely have my work cut out for me, because that's EXACTLY where she runs, every time I pick her up. Loki will be the only bird allowed on my shoulder ( at least for a very long time, and perhaps always). She is the bird I have had the longest, and I want her to always know that she is my special girl. We are also working on controlling shoulder etiquette. She has to know that when I say off, she is to come down. I've taught her how to station on my hand, by using CONSTANT reinforcement, and it's working. She used to zoom up my arm, and right on to my shoulder. Now I have more control over the situation. So I hope to be able to work with Knuckles as well :)

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
So?????? Is she home?
I can't wait to hear more about her!

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
She is home! And I learned something the hard way.....COCKATOO BITES HURT LIKE HELL!!!!!!

They must've given her acting lessons at the store. We got her home, and she is TERRIFIED of EVERYTHING.....and she looks kind of angry.

We spread towels on the bed, and put down some toys, and brought her out to play. She walked right over to me, and BAM!!!! She struck, like a RATTLESNAKE. I have a small hole and a pressure mark and a bruise forming on my forearm. I nearly cried. Not from the pain (it HURT) but because I couldn't believe this little creature who I have longed to love and care for so much, just lashed out at me, quite viciously I might add.

A more serious issue is the fact that she is a total SHOULDER WHORE. You can't stop her. She is completely focused on getting up there, and now I'm freaking terrified of her re-arranging my face. I don't want her up on my shoulder, but I also don't want to lose a finger trying to keep her from going there.

I'm sorry if I sound discouraged. I mean, I am, but I'm sure it will get better, and I certainly don't want to discourage you. I will be reading everything available that will help me with this issue, and I will be trying my best to help Knuckles acclimate, and hopefully not deliver any more unwarranted bites.

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
haha...yeah. now im terrified, give me my deposit back breeder!!!!...

But in seriousness...don't get discouraged! thats what its all about right?
living and learning and helping them become good avian citizens through our patience and encouragement :)

Good luck and i am sure it will get better with how dedicated you seem to be to your birds!

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Yeah! I'm just a little sad, cause I have such an awesome relationship with my other birds, and now I'm kind of scared of her. You would not want this kind of bite on your face :(

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
i'm sure, and from what the one owner said to me "trust me lady, you do NOT want this kind of bird" i have been expecting the worst....but i'm sure it will be worth it when they are awesome toos that we worked like hell with, and stick with them through things that would have them on craigslist by any sane person :)

you do have me a little concerned though considering you have a military.... from what i've heard they are the ones that take advantage of your sweetness...

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I've never heard that about Military Macaws. All I can say, is that Wingnut is a SUPERMUSH. He had a few moments when he was difficult, but he seems to be really trainable, and any displays of aggression are TOTAL bluffs. He's not hurting anyone. He just wants to sit in my lap and be rubbed :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry you are going through this transition period with her...I know how excited you have been. I have total faith that you both are going to get past this, and have a wonderful relationship like you have with the rest of your birds. Who knows, the relationship may even become stronger because of working through this.
My fingers are crossed that you stay bite free:)

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Thanks Terry! I need to stop being a baby about it.

My plan is to wake up early, before Loki & Wingnut wake up, and work with Knuckles for a little while on our own.

We will see :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I don't think you're being a baby at all! Those beaks hurt like crazy when they get ahold of you.
Having some one on one time sounds like a good plan - can't wait to hear how it goes:)

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
You are not kidding. I am surprised at how bad it hurt!!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Is it still hurting? Talli got me the other day and it ached for hours (no blood, though, yay!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts