Introducing my two feathered friends...advice?

roadrunner

Feb 10, 2014
Plymouth
Parrots
Hahns Macaw- Benji (7 years old)
African Grey- Ru (7 months old)
Hello everyone! (And a happy new year for tomorrow).

I had a question about introducing my Hahns macaw Benji to our new member of the family. Ru is an African Grey and she is 7 months old (we have had her since she was 3 months old and she is a dear little soul). Their cages sit side by side and they get equal amounts of time out with us everyday. We have perches and play areas in the living room and we hope they can get to know each other outside the cages.

Ru seems interested in Benji and has landed on his cage a few times, but naturally that is his territory and he has tried to bite her (once succeeding and nipping her toe). Do you have any advice as to how we could gradually get them acquainted?

Thanks! Xxx

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Have you had Benji all his life, or for a long time? If so, I would re-arrange the play areas in the living room a little bit, and try the introduction there, preferably while both Benji and Ru (CUTEST name) are on adjoining play areas - safe distance between the areas. If that goes well, you can try moving the play areas closer together. Always keep a watchful eye, always be ready to intervene if you must.

Please know, that even if Ru and Benji become friends outside of the cage, neither may be too happy with the other hanging out on top of their cage. :54:

OP
R

roadrunner

Feb 10, 2014
Plymouth
Parrots
Hahns Macaw- Benji (7 years old)
African Grey- Ru (7 months old)
Thank you so much for your advice :) we will have a go at setting up the play areas tomorrow!

Benji has been with us for 2 and a bit years; we got him as a rescue when he was 6 and he had been moved from pillar to post quite a bit in his lifetime. It's a shame really because he is a very sweet little guy and very loyal. We had to work hard to get him to trust both of us and to feel secure (well worth it though- when he first gently cleaned my hand it felt like a breakthrough). He is a bit nervy as a result of his previous homes but I do think they have learnt from watching each other and he is getting more confident. Ru naturally being younger is quite fearless and he flies to where she sits because he knows it's doable. It's certainly very positive to have them near to each other. Any tips in case things get a bit bitey? Lol :green1::21:

Most Reactions

Latest posts