Introducing New Birds

Tosca

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2013
How do you introduce a new bird to an existing bird's home without upsetting the original bird? I have a new one coming into our household soon and would like know what should be done so there is no animosity towards each other? The two birds involved are a macaw and an amazon.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
First thing is to quarentine them for at least 30 days. Then put the cages near each other but out of reach of beaks and tail feathers. Always give your first parrot the food and attention first then the newcomer. Eventually if you don't see any signs of friction than you can try having them out together but still out of reach and under supervision. Just take your time and don't rush it.:):)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You do realize that, in some cases, that may be like introducing a new boy/girl friend to a old one.....the jealousies can be very similar & retributions are sometimes exacted.....Aliray's right in his/her post.

If you haven't introduced them yet, introduce the newcomer to the existing bird.....there is a perceived hierarchy in birddom & it should be respected.....

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I wasn't going to respond until i read zon and macaw. That might work, what bird do you now have , and what age? how long? There are several keys to making it work. There's no substitute for a well socialized bird who's mature and bonded to you. The key word is well socialized. Do your homework and lay a good foundation, macaws and zons will surprise you. I would be remiss if i didn't add your allways taking a chance with adding a second bird and only get another bird because you want one, never as a companion for your fid.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts