IRN balding near eye, is this ok?

sneakerhead

Sep 9, 2012
Hi guys,
Got my Lutino IRN in August from a local breeder, he/she is about 4-5 months old. The tail was in this condition when purchased and was told by breeder it will grow back.
I am concerned about the balding spot near its eyes, should I take it to vet or is this normal?
I am not sure if I have provided you guys with adequate information about my bird, if any further info required, please do ask because I am a bit worried.

It also makes this(video posted below) noise most of the times I whistle to it or approach it, is my IRN telling me to back off or what does this type of noise mean?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaOcybqpMsE]Cute baby Indian Ringneck in his new home - 11 weeks - YouTube[/ame]

Here are some pics, I can provide further.
IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes the tail should grow back. That's a begging for food behavior. I don't really notice the balding around the eye.

OP
S

sneakerhead

Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for the prompt reply, here are some pics I just snapped for a clearer view.
The balding does look worse in person and even these pics don't justify the condition fully because of lighting.
Please enhance pics if it helps

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

If it helps, it has been shedding a lot of small feathers too.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Does he scratch at it ? I see what your talking about now. Is the area increasing in size? Could it be genetic?

OP
S

sneakerhead

Sep 9, 2012
Does he scratch at it ? I see what your talking about now. Is the area increasing in size? Could it be genetic?

He scratches his head but I am not sure if its the specific area he is scratching. I do feel that the area is increasing in size, can it be the diet? I am feeding him seeds, dried fruits, some fresh and some dried veggies, some nuts as well.
Could it be genetic? I am not sure...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
genetics would be a good question for your breeder. Infection or feather mites but i don't see much evidence of that.Lots of scratching,sneezing alot, rubbing on perch,cage bars, that sort of thing. Any planned trips to the AV ? Wish i could help more but i don't do IRNs and i'm not a vet.

PS i've got to ask, i'm an old fishing boat capt , sneaker heads are what we call ramoras , the fish that stick to sharks ,rays, turtles etc.

Last edited:
OP
S

sneakerhead

Sep 9, 2012
genetics would be a good question for your breeder. Infection or feather mites but i don't see much evidence of that.Lots of scratching,sneezing alot, rubbing on perch,cage bars, that sort of thing. Any planned trips to the AV ? Wish i could help more but i don't do IRNs and i'm not a vet.

PS i've got to ask, i'm an old fishing boat capt , sneaker heads are what we call ramoras , the fish that stick to sharks ,rays, turtles etc.

Regarding scratching, sneezing and rubbing on perch, are they not suppose to do these at all?
Bolt(my IRN) does scratch but few times especially when bored it seems. Sneezing is observed few times a day too but no dripping and as far as rubbing on perch, Bolt only uses wood but a few times as well. I am not too sure how to describe these behaviors because they are relative and I am not where the line needs to be drawn.
I do want to take it to AV soon since the balding does not seem normal and a conclusive answer would put my worries to rest.

I do know Ramoras, never knew they were referred to as sneaker heads as well, I live in South Florida myself. Sneakerhead is just someone who loves antique shoes and appreciates their history (ex Jordans).

BTW, thanks for the help!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I guess it could also be a allergic reaction to something? But i'd think you'd see lots of rubbing,scratching. maybe even at night.

Most Reactions