is bruno a hybrid?

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
so ive always noticed bruno looks a little different to oxy and prince, but now that i finally got him home im noticing even more.
i thought maybe it was just he was a bit over weight. he has always been a bit hand shy so i cant hold him to check for clevage on his breast.
he has a much larger head then the others and his head featgers seem longer and fluffier. i dont know, he coukd just be a big boy and still growing. he is bigger then prince. bruno will be 2 in august so it could be his age too. i have attatched some pics.... what do u think?

2013-03-25073903_zps5b5bd0da.jpg

2013-03-25073541_zps7b9035de.jpg

2013-03-25073337_zps1693777b.jpg

2013-03-25073530_zps40774e6c.jpg

2013-03-25073541_zps7b9035de.jpg

oxy and prince both come from the same breeder, same father different mothers so i know that they aren't hybrids. i have viewed oxy's parents and princes father and they are magnificant.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
He could be a different sub species. I'm not really seeing anything else in him, he doesn't look like a Indian ringneck hybrid and doesn't look at all like a derbyan.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
There are birds that are a true specie, not hybrid, that are genetically larger or smaller than their siblings...and even their parents. I can't speak to IRNs, but there are sub-species of conures that are larger or smaller than their cousins, Patagonians, for one.....also, now that I'm thinking about it, of the 4 sibling suns I had several years ago, one had larger feet than the others...2 were 18mo & 2 were 24mo.....same parents.....

In your pic, Bruno looks a bit lighter, but that's feather pigmentation, everything else looks like IRN, so what could Bruno's ancestors have interbred with & maintained the proper coloring & markings.....I might be more inclined to think a growth gene got skewed somewhere back down the road.....

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I found this on Wikipedia

The P. e. nipalensis ssp. (Nepalese Alexandrine Parakeet) is the largest of the species measuring 62 cm (24.5 in) in total length with a wing length averaging between 20–24 cm (8–9.5 in). It is thus recognized as the world's largest genuine Parakeet (short to mid sized Long-Tailed Parrot) species. It looks much like the Nominate sub-species. However, the feathers on the chest and abdomen in both genders display whitish-grey sheens, the cheeks and napes are washed with blue and the adult males display large pink nape bands.

The P. e. magnirostris ssp. (Andaman Island's Alexandrine Parakeet) is slightly larger than the nominate sub-species, displaying a wing length anywhere between 20–22.5 cm (8–9 in). It looks much like the nominate race, however, the feathers on the chest and abdomen in both genders display whitish-grey sheens. The maroon 'shoulder' patch is of a much redder (or less brownish) colour than that of the nominate. The beak is larger and more massive. The adult males display large pink nape bands, the blue sheens above the nape-bands are restricted and sometimes absent in some specimens.

The P. e. avensis ssp. (Indo-Burmese Alexandrine Parakeet) is of similar size as the nominate species, measuring 58 cm (23 in), displaying a wing length averaging anywhere between 19.4–22 cm (7.5–8.5 in) and often mistaken for the Nominate ssp. However, the top of the head and the nape are of a yellowish-green, the blue sheens are restricted to the cheeks and thus absent in the nape. The adult males display thinner and pinker nape-bands.

The P. e. siamensis ssp. (Laos or Siamese Alexandrine Parakeet) is the smallest of the species, measuring 56 cm (22 in), displaying a wing length averaging anywhere between 17.9–20.5 cm (7–8 in) and looks much like the Nominate ssp. Typically, the top of the head and the nape display pale-blue sheens which can extend to the crown in some specimens. The cheeks are yellowish-green, the 'shoulder' patch is of a nearly brownless red colour and the legs display a pronounced yellowish shade.

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
After reading that info I think he maybe a dif sub specied..ie the adamin islanf, his wings are.long and his beak is.huge. Would u say looking at the pics he.is oveweight? They were on a poor diet when I took them in, sunflower seed.

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
As for him being a ringneck cross I didnt think that was it as he larger then the ithers and.has a large.beak

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Since I don't have IRNs, I really can't speak to specifics, but if you wait until after dark, be at his cage, have someone turn out all lights, so it's black dark, pick him up or towel him, as may be, then you can check his breast.....since he doesn't like to be held, use your thumb & forefinger around his neck & you can easily control his beak.....firm grip, but not too tight.....

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
Well he not over weight, just very fluffy. I just gave them all a missing and he decided to have a bath in the water bowl. I also just gave them all a treat because due to circumstances beyond my control they won't be out of cage for another hour and half. Bruno happily perched on my hand in the cage and allowed me to feel his breast.... No cleavage.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think he is pure maybe a Sub species as well. I seen an alexandrine that was the size of a large blue front amazon he wasn't overweight his whole body and even his beak was that large. I mean enormous I feel in love with him he was so huge and had so much red on his wings.. Wish I had a picture he was extoridanary.

Most Reactions