Is CAG the right bird for me?

MxDaviD

Apr 13, 2013
Hello,my name is David and i am 16 years old.I love african greys and i would love to buy one.In the morning i am in school but my mother is at home.
is the african grey right choise for me?

Thank you!

PS:Sorry for my bad english.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi David welcome to our forum.

African Greys' are awesome birds, not surprised you are wanting one.

Firstly would this be your first bird?

All birds require a vast amount of time. You mentioned you are still at school: Would you be able to follow a routine where the bird is concerned. Routine is very important each and every day. Interacting with the bird and spending quality time is a must for any bird.

African Greys' are very demanding birds and usually choose one person as their mate.
Who would the bird spend more time with your or your mom? If the bird chooses your mom as his mate, is your mom prepared to be his mate?

Sorry for all the questions, but these are things you need to consider before becoming a guardian.
g0504.gif

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
Hello,

I have had a few parrots in my life. Time is key no and later, I agree with antoinette.

But also think is this going to be your buddy, pal and life mate ?

I am so in luv with my grey now. I am actually moving my life around to suit him and myself more. ;-)

My other parrots are more independent ! so I am lucky. I always wanted a Macaw and african grey and Cockatoo and today I have an african grey and am so lucky.

You need to give time all the time. He is needy but not so much as the Cockatoo. And the Macaw is so large and long tail he is harder to manage overall with space and other.

The grey has been perfect for me. I also have a cutie Alexander Parrot.

Take a look at African greys, visit places with parrots and GOOD SHOPS that will welcome you to come and visit often.

HOW ABOUT volunteering at a Shelter, rescue and other. ;-)

ASK YOUR MOTHER for help and volunteer once a week at an animal shelter with parrots. This way you can get to know them and see which kind fits you and also YOU HELP THEM !!! You are doing 2 great things there. I think your Mother will appreciate you are taking your time and making a real effort to make a soild and great choice.

Parrots are long term and life time.

Let me know how you do ? Please do try volunteering. If you need ask a nice pet shop if there is no rescue to work a day weekly. But rescue is AWESOME and BEST CHOICE !!!

GOOD LUCK

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
I think that it depends on what are your plans for after you graduate from school. If you stay at home I don't see a reason for not buying an AG now, but if for example have to go to army to to study in college in other town - it could be a problem.
Wish you a good luck.

OP
M

MxDaviD

Apr 13, 2013
Thank you for all the replies,in the morning from about 7 am till 2-3 pm i am at school and he would be with my mom or maybe sometimes alone,then he will be with me.We also have 3 cats at home? is this maybe a problem?
This would be my second bird,i also had a alexander before.

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

New congo grey baby comes home sometime in May!
I've had many birds throughout my life - macaw, cockatiels, conures, but nothing compared to my grey. She was just very intelligent, full of personality, laid back but always thinking, and a goofball! I'd choose a grey hands down over any other parrot. However, the fact that you're still in high school is a bit of a concern. Not because of your schedule now, but think a few years down the road. What happens when you go to college and they don't allow pets in the dorms? Does the grey stay at your mom's, do you rehome her? Since these birds live for so long, you need to think about that before committing yourself. This isn't like a parakeet - once she bonds to you, it won't be fair to leave her, and will cause her much stress.

Most Reactions

Latest posts