Is copper wire ok to hang toys on?

furryfriends

Oct 9, 2014
I am currently using copper wire to hang toys around my Goffin Cockatoos cage. Is this bad? I got scared from using rope reading these forums, and have no idea where to buy nongalvanized metal wire. It seems like everything metal is plated with zinc (galvanized)! Thank you!

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
I wouldn't use copper. What is wrong with rope? I know few members avoid chains, but sisal rope iOS often used.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Copper is TOXIC!!!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Oh man, please remove all copper ASAP [emoji51]

(Untreated) Sisal twine from Home Depot works great, or zip ties work too

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
If you really want to use something metal to attach toys, go to Home Depot and buy some stainless steel caribeeners or quick links- MUST be stainless steel, NOT zinc or nickel plated.

If you can't find any of these, ask a store associate and they will help you find them.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
You can also buy stainless steel chain, which is very handy for hanging toys and swings. Again, make sure it's stainless steel and not galvanised. There's a kind of plastic rope called variously paulie rope, polly rope or poly rope which you ought to be able to buy from most pet shops (or check it out on ebay).

Birds are very sensitive to metal toxicity, so most of us try hard not to have metal parts in the toys we offer them. Stainless steel is safe, but if an item is only stainless steel coated, then you run the risk of the base metal coming through and poisoning your bird. Death from metal toxicity can be slow in that the bird sickens imperceptibly - but then it will die suddenly from the cumulative effects. We've had several tragic tales of this over the past twelve months, so it's not an uncommon happening.

Cotton rope is often used in bird toys, but some members' birds have become tangled in the fibres and either lost limbs or even died from strangulation. Some of us continue to use cotton rope, knowing full well the risk we take. Others prefer not to use it at all. You must make your own decision on that score. My birds show no interest in the cotton rope, beyond perching on it: they don't preen, bite or shred it. Therefore I use it to bind wire baskets and boings. I don't recommend that anyone else should use it, though, because of the aforementioned risks.

If you have any queries regarding safety, this is the place to ask them! Our members have lots of experience to share and are more than happy to help! :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Don't know where you live, but if you're in North America and have a Lowes near by, they sell small rolls of stainless steel picture wire, in a couple of sizes, as well as the previously mentioned stainless quick links in several sizes.....

They're usually in hardware near the screws, wire & other type hooks.....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have also used zip ties, but those tend to be temporary as the birds will snap them fairly easily.

But no copper, no galvanized anything metal... or your bird will be exposed to zinc poisoning.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am currently using copper wire to hang toys around my Goffin Cockatoos cage. Is this bad? I got scared from using rope reading these forums, and have no idea where to buy nongalvanized metal wire. It seems like everything metal is plated with zinc (galvanized)! Thank you!

Untreated Sisal rope is available at most hardware stores. I bought a ton of it awhile back at the dollar store. It's safe and it's dirt cheap. Like $1-5 per roll cheap!

And your bird can make his or her DIY preening toys by chewing on it. Which, with a too or a CAG in the house, is worth the price of admission right there!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Don't know where you live, but if you're in North America and have a Lowes near by, they sell small rolls of stainless steel picture wire, in a couple of sizes, as well as the previously mentioned stainless quick links in several sizes.....

They're usually in hardware near the screws, wire & other type hooks.....

My local Lowe's had several types of picture-hanging galvanized wire with all sorts of "Proposition 65" health warnings. The clerk claimed not to have any narrow gage stainless steel, but suggested a marine-supply store. I happen to live 3 miles from a harbor and visited a facility that sells rolls of .041 stainless steel wire. Six inch sections will be perfect to secure the 3 doors of a Goffin cage that had (very past tense!!) nice spring-action locks.

ParrotsAhoy

Aug 29, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Parrots
1x Male Alexandrine Parrot
Over the past few weeks Ive nearly turned myself inside out trying to track down some stainless steel wire for my parrot, turns out that over here in New Zealand, the key words I was looking for were "Safety Lock". Stainless steel wire is used as safety lock wire over here and now that I know that, I can wire EVERYTHING to my parrots cage .. if he stops trying to chew the wire ><

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Once your alex figures out he's not going to be able to chew through the stainless wire, he'll quit trying.....

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Sorry, weco, but an Alex will never quit trying to chew stuff. Mine are indefatigable in their efforts and sometimes I despair of them ever giving up! Y'gotta admire them for tenacity, though. :D

Most Reactions