Is he excited or stressed?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd bathes every day one way or another. He has a bath in his cage all the time but often chooses to go under the kitchen tap. If I am at the sink and he suddenly gets excited I turn on the water and see if that's what he wants. Just the last few days he has used his bath in his cage.

He hasn't shown any desire to shower with me and hates being misted, the important thing is that he gets his regular baths one way or another. Just give several options.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I shower with my bird just to avoid the splashes wherever he also finds water. My bird seems to prefer cool water, so before i bring out the products I warm up as he sits on a towel over the door, once the temperature warms up and I'm warm I lower the temp till it's about as low as I can tolerate, a little over room temp.

Then I let him hop and and jump around a war dance on my arm and shoulder getting wet. Takes about 2-3 minutes till he's satisfied. Once he's sufficiently wet he will look at and move back to the towel. Then I turn up the heat and do the shampoos, conditioners, face soap, body wash, all that stuff that he shouldn't probably be around.

:gcc:

OP
Pilaf

Pilaf

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Pineapple/cinnamon green cheek conure
I give Echo quite a lot of different options. he always gets very excited whenever he hears running water. Today I misted him and he enjoyed it. He also baths a lot in his drinking bowl, I always immediately give him fresh water after that (if I'm at home when that happens). I do notice that ben if he's very excited to hear running water, he's not always in the mood to get wet, often he's a bit hesitant and a little bit scared. I just let him do whatever he likes.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
exactly pilaf................you must please your owner......

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Give him a bath..just have him step up and let the water from your shower spray on him a bit. Or if you have a hand shower let it run on him. I just put Ollie in the running water the 1st time and give him kisses while doing it and from then on he showers with me daily.

OP
Pilaf

Pilaf

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Give him a bath..just have him step up and let the water from your shower spray on him a bit. Or if you have a hand shower let it run on him. I just put Ollie in the running water the 1st time and give him kisses while doing it and from then on he showers with me daily.

He won't step up, he's too excited or so. He wants to stay on his swing.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Can you move the swing so the water hits him? Also...does he not step up at all or just on the swing? How do you know he won't step up...does he bite you or something?

OP
Pilaf

Pilaf

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Can you move the swing so the water hits him? Also...does he not step up at all or just on the swing? How do you know he won't step up...does he bite you or something?

I do put the swing closer to the water where it does hit him but he climbs away from it, but keeps bobbing his head every now and then. It's like he wants to bath, but he's afraid. He does step up great in almost every situation. But in the bathroom when I'm taking a shower, he gets so excited that he bites when I offer him my hand to step up.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
maybe the pressure it's going at is what unnerves him? Try a little trickle at first and see if he enjoys that

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Yeah I don't let the spray hit my bird dead on, he gets the water bouncing off me...off my head and shoulders etc.

OP
Pilaf

Pilaf

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
maybe the pressure it's going at is what unnerves him? Try a little trickle at first and see if he enjoys that

There is no pressure at all. He only gets a little bit of water what splashes off my shoulders, hardly anything, a very soft mist, and he used to love that, and even wanted to get more, because he was leaning towards the water more and more. It's the the last couple of days that he suddenly hides behind a rope. Maybe he's just not in the mood to get wet.

OP
Pilaf

Pilaf

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Yeah I don't let the spray hit my bird dead on, he gets the water bouncing off me...off my head and shoulders etc.

I don't do that either. I don't let the water hit him straight on, the water bounces off my shoulders and he used to love that.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
temperature? make the water as cool as you can stand it....it's a bird thing I guess. Might be an issue, IDK.

OP
Pilaf

Pilaf

Jun 29, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
temperature? make the water as cool as you can stand it....it's a bird thing I guess. Might be an issue, IDK.

I'll try that, thank you. I did make the water a bit warmer the last few days when I take a shower, because it gets colder here now. Maybe that's it.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
yeah I learned by experiment he prefers cool water...insane, but then again....Conure...

:gcc:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
could be that or like you said before he may just not be in the mood for a splash but is still getting excited cause he knows bath time is fun time

Most Reactions

Latest posts