Is it just me?

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
I have 2 cockatiels and 1 parakeet. In the past I had an African Grey and many parakeets. They don't like fresh food! My cockatiels will eat carrots or green peppers if I chop them into TINY pieces. That is it. They wont touch other veggies. Occasionally they will have a tiny bit of apples, if I cut them tiny- Most of it goes to waste. Our grey wouldn't touch any of it. I'm starting to think I just have bad luck with birds.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, it's not just you:) My conure is the easy one. If I eat it, she will eat it. My others don't always trust my judgment on food:D My Grey is being quite picky, too, and not eating any of the things her former owners told me she likes. I've tried preparing it all different ways, but I think sometimes when they come into a new home they aren't so willing to eat the things they ate in the former home. And of course young birds take time to learn what is food, and to try it. My amazon is starting to trust my judgment and try things he sees me eat in front of him. Today I rubbed a Nutriberry all over my face and then he finally ate one. That's only taken, oh, 4.5 months, lol!

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
Aw, of course she did! She wants her babies to eat it. Still a funny picture. People would think us bird people were nuts if they saw what we did everyday!

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
try chopping up the fruits and veggies into tiiiiny pieces and mixing them in good with
their pellets (if they're on a pelleted diet). this way the pellets could suck up the juices
and they could get the nutrients from the fruits and veggies and could develop a taste
for them.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
All of my birds r great eaters!!! My grey will eat anything so will my B&G. I tell my Senegal he would eat poop on a stick if I gave it to him! lol! He really will eat anything!!!! I think a lot of it is how they were fed when they were babies but even my breeder birds I might get r all good eaters.

I think another thing is try different ways to give them things, shread, chop, peel, cooked, raw, even hang things and make them a toy. Try any way u can to make them look at it in a new way and they might like it better. Also try all kinds of 1 kind of food like apples try gala or granny smith u get the idea they might like 1 kind of apple and not others. But don't give up! And good luck!!!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Oh, Roxy! You rubbed a Nutriberry all over your face? :D:32::21:

I did, I admit it:D I had to do it 3x before he would touch it. I learned accidentally a few weeks ago that when I rubbed a toy all over my face, he wanted it. So, not really sure why that inspires him, but if I rub it on my face, he decides it's safe.

Merlin will only eat Granny Smith apples, so yes, different apples can work. She likes spaghetti, rice, and bread, but as for fruits and veggies, I haven't quite figured out what pleases her. She ate some of that mush I made the other night with squash.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Thought you all might want to know I had to rub the Nutriberry on my face again today to get Pete to eat it:D

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Thought you all might want to know I had to rub the Nutriberry on my face again today to get Pete to eat it:D

Roxy , your are a such a riot :p But you are the best parrot momma ever ;)

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Try putting wome apple in warm oatmeal or try mashed hard boiled egg with some oatmeal. Yoshi wouldnt go near anything new and avoided it at all cost.
But once i got Rosie , and he saw her eat everything under the sun , he never hesitated again to try whatever I put in their dishes.
Sometimes warm food entices them more. You just need to keep trying different things and dont give up. There is a awesome thread about veggies ( not sure of the name ) but it has tons of wonderful ideas you can try. Good luck :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I have no idea why that is working, LOL! And I don't even know why I thought of doing it that first time.

Don't really want to rub mashed potatoes all over myself though! Or mango!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I have no idea why that is working, LOL! And I don't even know why I thought of doing it that first time.

Don't really want to rub mashed potatoes all over myself though! Or mango!

LMAO !!! Oh Roxy :D:D

Most Reactions