Is it normal for a parrot rescue to take a week to respond?

Apr 3, 2023
United Kingdom, England, Cheshire
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
Mayumi (4/11/2020-1/4/2023) Best friend of me and Makisig, our sibling, the one we cherished. Please fly high for us and don’t stop at nothing ♥️♥️♥️
My parent has contacted a parrot rescue but we haven’t even gotten a response back from their email for the past 6 days since we contacted them.
I don’t if they’re busy or not but surely they have some time to respond?
I don’t know whether this is a result of lack of time or just pathetic customer service.
If you’re wondering which parrot rescue this is, it is at Problem parrot, England, Cheshire and for some reason I’ve noticed that all the newer reviews of their facility are all negative.
Maybe they just dropped in quality?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I don’t know about the UK, but I know here rescues and other charity organizations are almost entirely volunteer-run. This means that many of their members also have day jobs, families, their own birds or other pets, etc.

Respectfully, it did not sound like your situation was an emergency. Many parrots end up needing a home because their old home is gone or unsafe - like when their owner passes away, or a disaster happens (they see many birds who enter rescues due to house fires, for example). The reality is that your bird currently has a safe home, which likely means it’s lower priority.

Please be patient and considerate of their time. I know you may feel anxious as you have decided on a course of action and want to follow through right now, but as this is a bird I assume you acquired through a breeder or shop and not from the rescue, they are not obligated to immediately come pick them up.

In the future, if you need that kind of guarantee if things don’t work out, consider adoption! Not all parrots who are up for adoption have behavior problems and many small parrots like your budgie go through rescues. The great thing about them is that if things aren’t working out for you they can and will take them back right away.

OP
Hatzegopteryx4578
Apr 3, 2023
United Kingdom, England, Cheshire
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
Mayumi (4/11/2020-1/4/2023) Best friend of me and Makisig, our sibling, the one we cherished. Please fly high for us and don’t stop at nothing ♥️♥️♥️
I don’t know about the UK, but I know here rescues and other charity organizations are almost entirely volunteer-run. This means that many of their members also have day jobs, families, their own birds or other pets, etc.

Respectfully, it did not sound like your situation was an emergency. Many parrots end up needing a home because their old home is gone or unsafe - like when their owner passes away, or a disaster happens (they see many birds who enter rescues due to house fires, for example). The reality is that your bird currently has a safe home, which likely means it’s lower priority.

Please be patient and considerate of their time. I know you may feel anxious as you have decided on a course of action and want to follow through right now, but as this is a bird I assume you acquired through a breeder or shop and not from the rescue, they are not obligated to immediately come pick them up.

In the future, if you need that kind of guarantee if things don’t work out, consider adoption! Not all parrots who are up for adoption have behavior problems and many small parrots like your budgie go through rescues. The great thing about them is that if things aren’t working out for you they can and will take them back right away.
No it is just that my budgie may end up in an undesirable environment in the few following weeks and simply don’t want him to end up like that.

My parents are going to force me to give my budgie to a family I don’t know about him and he may end up living in the smaller cage he was in before I changed it to the current one.

I simply don’t want him to live in a terrible
household because of my pathetic dad’s ignorance and lack of patiences to see if we can
get him within a good household.

Unless this family I get to know is good and has decent knowledge on birds I’m simply just not letting him into this family.

May 20, 2023
California, USA
Parrots
Talking Fancy Lutino Parakeet, 2yrs old- 37 word vocabulary. Named Otto Von Ruthless
No it is just that my budgie may end up in an undesirable environment in the few following weeks and simply don’t want him to end up like that.

My parents are going to force me to give my budgie to a family I don’t know about him and he may end up living in the smaller cage he was in before I changed it to the current one.

household because of my pathetic dad’s ignorance and lack of patiences to see if we can

Unless this family I get to know is good and has decent knowledge on birds I’m simply just not letting him into this family.

Contact @budgie_rescue on Instagram, they're in the UK and great rescue!

Most Reactions