Is it normal for hens to be so chirpy?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So, a little over a week ago, I got a budgie (Cricket). I am certain that she is a hen and is about 4 months old. She has been fairly talkative since day one and I have no experience with hens. Is it normal for them to chirp so much and often? Not complaining though, itā€™s quite nice!

Also, hereā€™s some pics of Cornbread Cricket and her accomplice in felonies for birbtax
1B8028D4-6508-4562-91FE-CDE966B814C3.jpeg
ECCF263B-C4C4-43D1-B6E9-2F5581BABA55.jpeg
5214976C-C8A8-464B-81A2-558E04FA4873.jpeg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My female Hedwig can be pretty loud but in volume not quantity. My three males seem to make noise much more constantly.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My female Hedwig can be pretty loud but in volume not quantity. My three males seem to make noise much more constantly.
My female budgie, Fay, was named ā€œChirpyā€ by the rescue where I got here, so that should tell you something lol! She doesnā€™t sing like Cooper but sheā€™s plenty chatty!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Itā€™s not that crick is loud, (Rico sounds like a jet engine compared to her) itā€™s just that she is rarely quiet. Never really been a day where she was silent. Maybe itā€™s because her kaiju of a ā€˜role modelā€™ is never quiet? There is also a possibility that she could be male, since I never did a dna test on her, I just looked at her cere.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
My female budgie, Fay, was named ā€œChirpyā€ by the rescue where I got here, so that should tell you something lol! She doesnā€™t sing like Cooper but sheā€™s plenty chatty!
That is adorable!! Iā€™m not sure what the difference between singing and chirping is though, haha

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
That is adorable!! Iā€™m not sure what the difference between singing and chirping is though, haha
I guess I would describe the sounds Cooper makes as sort of a trill? Much more patterned and melodic. while the sounds Fay makes are more squawking and chattering. Itā€™s not unpleasant though (unless she really starts screaming!)

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I guess I would describe the sounds Cooper makes as sort of a trill? Much more patterned and melodic. while the sounds Fay makes are more squawking and chattering. Itā€™s not unpleasant though (unless she really starts screaming!)
Yeah, no trills or warbles from cricket. She is quite a chatty borb

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I don't doubt she is a girl.
What noises is she making? Contact calling, general chatter?
Budgies are noisy, that's just them. Mine are being very noisy right now, first thing in the morning...

I know people who have macaws and/or cockatoos and they always comment on the volume of their little budgies ;)

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I don't doubt she is a girl.
What noises is she making? Contact calling, general chatter?
Budgies are noisy, that's just them. Mine are being very noisy right now, first thing in the morning...

I know people who have macaws and/or cockatoos and they always comment on the volume of their little budgies ;)
Iā€™m not very familiar with the types of budgie chirps aside from anger, trill, and the ā€œIā€™m getting into trouble, donā€™t check on meā€ sound (silence). Iā€™m going to say itā€™s general chatter just to play it safe haha

I would figure they would be like ā€œyeah, so my flying bolt cutters are as loud as a dying hog times a thousand and a screaming toddler times twelve while my budgie is very quiet compared to my bolt cutter bird.ā€ But now Iā€™ve got the impression of ā€œyeah, so my bolt cutter is loud but my flying rainbow door hinge who screams is arguable worse.ā€ Quite interesting actually! Do they find budgie noises annoying? I find Rico to be rather annoying with his tantrums at times, while cricketā€™s tantrums are more startling than anything.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Iā€™m not very familiar with the types of budgie chirps aside from anger, trill, and the ā€œIā€™m getting into trouble, donā€™t check on meā€ sound (silence). Iā€™m going to say itā€™s general chatter just to play it safe haha

I would figure they would be like ā€œyeah, so my flying bolt cutters are as loud as a dying hog times a thousand and a screaming toddler times twelve while my budgie is very quiet compared to my bolt cutter bird.ā€ But now Iā€™ve got the impression of ā€œyeah, so my bolt cutter is loud but my flying rainbow door hinge who screams is arguable worse.ā€ Quite interesting actually! Do they find budgie noises annoying? I find Rico to be rather annoying with his tantrums at times, while cricketā€™s tantrums are more startling than anything.
Iā€™m so used to budgie noises that I donā€™t even notice anymore. Someone else will walk into the room while the birds are screaming and flying around like maniacs and say, ā€œwow theyā€™re really loud! How can you stand it?ā€ And Iā€™m just reading a book and didnā€™t even really register the noise until they mentioned it. I do have to leave the room when Iā€™m on the phone sometimes, though ha ha! Admittedly, JJā€™s 113 decibel shriek can still get on my nerves sometimes.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Female budgies chirps tend to sound louder and harsher than males. Males tend to warble quietly more than females. Its during the warbling that you can hear human words mixed into the budgie warbling sounds. Males also tend to warble directly to inanimate objects more than females so. Females will try to chew on objects more than warble to them. These are my observations after keeping many budgies. There are exceptions, of course.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Iā€™m so used to budgie noises that I donā€™t even notice anymore. Someone else will walk into the room while the birds are screaming and flying around like maniacs and say, ā€œwow theyā€™re really loud! How can you stand it?ā€ And Iā€™m just reading a book and didnā€™t even really register the noise until they mentioned it. I do have to leave the room when Iā€™m on the phone sometimes, though ha ha! Admittedly, JJā€™s 113 decibel shriek can still get on my nerves sometimes.
Haha the reactions of non-bird people to how we live is quite funny! They always seem so surprised that we can just sit around and essentially just not really acknowledge our birds making so much noise since, well, we are so used to it.

Your bird(s) scream when youā€™re on the phone? Rico just goes quiet when I call someone or Iā€™m calling someone.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Female budgies chirps tend to sound louder and harsher than males. Males tend to warble quietly more than females. Its during the warbling that you can hear human words mixed into the budgie warbling sounds. Males also tend to warble directly to inanimate objects more than females so. Females will try to chew on objects more than warble to them. These are my observations after keeping many budgies. There are exceptions, of course.
Female budgie noises are sharper than males? I have noticed no warbles or trills from Crickbread, she just chirps and shrieks angrily haha

I have noticed that she does chew more than ice or tea ever did, but sheā€™s picky. If Rico is playing with it, then itā€™s the funnest thing ever, but if he walks away from it then, nicht gut from her.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Female budgie noises are sharper than males? I have noticed no warbles or trills from Crickbread, she just chirps and shrieks angrily haha

I have noticed that she does chew more than ice or tea ever did, but sheā€™s picky. If Rico is playing with it, then itā€™s the funnest thing ever, but if he walks away from it then, nicht gut from her.
She sounds like a typical girl budgie! Males do the quiet warbling thing- females rarely do. The girls are also more opinionated- they like what they like and want what they want! They can be just as friendly as boy budgies (Rocky flys to us and lands on us a lot) but girls are more likely to give you a nip. I don't think it's aggression, at least not with Rocky. Rocky wants to beak and chew almost everything and she doesn't seem to understand that skin and ears are sensitive.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
She sounds like a typical girl budgie! Males do the quiet warbling thing- females rarely do. The girls are also more opinionated- they like what they like and want what they want! They can be just as friendly as boy budgies (Rocky flys to us and lands on us a lot) but girls are more likely to give you a nip. I don't think it's aggression, at least not with Rocky. Rocky wants to beak and chew almost everything and she doesn't seem to understand that skin and ears are sensitive.
So cricket is a super chatty hen then? I find it funny that my males were so hen-like while cricket is so much like a male! Sheā€™s opinionated but very talkative. Never even been nipped, not once with her, which is nice since Iā€™m bitten enough by Rico lol

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

So cricket is a super chatty hen then? I find it funny that my males were so hen-like while cricket is so much like a male! Sheā€™s opinionated but very talkative. Never even been nipped, not once with her, which is nice since Iā€™m bitten enough by Rico lol
Hens are as chatty as males but they don't softly warble as much as males. Males chirp a lot too but don't "scream" as much.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hens are as chatty as males but they don't softly warble as much as males. Males chirp a lot too but don't "scream" as much.
Not all hens nip but most tame males don't nip. Most males don't chew up everything in sight. My girls chew on soft (pine) wood like ladders and perches until they're shredded but that's because the girls excavate the nest holes. Chewing is a very strong instinct for female budgies.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Not all hens nip but most tame males don't nip. Most males don't chew up everything in sight. My girls chew on soft (pine) wood like ladders and perches until they're shredded but that's because the girls excavate the nest holes. Chewing is a very strong instinct for female budgies.
Agreed, Fay chews on wood and paper way more than any of my boys ever have!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Haha the reactions of non-bird people to how we live is quite funny! They always seem so surprised that we can just sit around and essentially just not really acknowledge our birds making so much noise since, well, we are so used to it.

Your bird(s) scream when youā€™re on the phone? Rico just goes quiet when I call someone or Iā€™m calling someone.
Good boy, Rico! They donā€™t necessarily scream because Iā€™m on the phone, theyā€™re just making noises most of the day regardless of what Iā€™m doing šŸ˜….

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Good boy, Rico! They donā€™t necessarily scream because Iā€™m on the phone, theyā€™re just making noises most of the day regardless of what Iā€™m doing šŸ˜….
My eight budgies make noise all day. My mother says to go into another room when she calls but I have budgies in both rooms!

Most Reactions

Latest posts