Is it okay if my greencheek and parakeet nibble on this plant?

mangokeaton

Apr 12, 2013
I'm not sure if they actual eat the plant or not, but they tend to bite the leaves off and I wanted to see if it's something that I should get rid of. It's a regular Vine house plant that doesn't have any fertilizer.

I'm also worried about the bark on the tree, can anyone please verify that this setup is safe?

THanks!

8734226019_8f2abb78f1_b.jpg

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
That looks a lot like a philadendron. If so, it's definitely toxic, especially if they eat a significant amount. From what I've read, all parts of the plant are toxic. I have one in my office, as well at home, but I keep my pets away from them just to be safe. There are quite a few articles about these plants if you want to look them up, but I would definitely suggest removing it from your birds' area. I attached a photo of the plant I have in my office, just to give you an idea of what it looks like. There are quite a few variations in them, but the one I have at home looks exactly like the one in your picture.

Attachments

• plant.JPG
    plant.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 496
OP
M

mangokeaton

Apr 12, 2013
THankyou everyone so much. The plant has been removed, thankyou for all the advice!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
The plant is called Pothos and comes in green and yellow and green and white and a lime green leaf depending on the hybrid and is considered toxic to birds, and cats. Glad you removed it. It is related to philodendron. Down here in Fla if you take that cute little plant and plant it outside by the base of a tree It will grow into a huge thick vine with leaves the size of a dinner plate, and is hearty outside all year long.:)

wjgonzalez

Apr 9, 2013
It is a Pothos plant (Epipremnum aureum). It is a common house plant, but is toxic, not only to parrots.

OP
M

mangokeaton

Apr 12, 2013
is it okay to replace it with a fake plant? that would be alright right?

thanks

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
is it okay to replace it with a fake plant? that would be alright right?

thanks

If you put a fake plant within your birds' reach, they will undoubtedly "try" it out, no doubt in my mind.

If it's a plastic one, it "may" be all right, but if it's silk and dyed, I'd be careful.

OP
M

mangokeaton

Apr 12, 2013
how do I be careful though? does anyone else have any fake plants or experience with them?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I really wouldn't recommend a fake plant, either... wouldn't want a bird chewing on it and accidentally eating it...

Instead, I would recommend either buying or finding safe plants to give to your birds to chew.

3728fdb2.jpg

cd4e32d9.jpg

Fids025.jpg

c18a49c3.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
From the above linked article:

I’m not a big fan of planted indoor aviaries because it is difficult to control mold and mildew in a humid, controlled environment. Unless scrupulously cleaned up each day, leaves from plants, bird droppings and discarded foodstuffs contribute to bacterial growth and development of mold on soil and plant parts. Insects and rodents will be attracted to this banquet, as well. Transpiration from the plants adds moisture to the air, thereby creating an environment even more hospitable to mold and mildew.

I prefer to use potted greenery where birds are housed indoors. Strategically placed on the floor or hanging from ceiling hooks, the plants add a note of tropical beauty, yet they easily can be relocated out of a bird’s ‘bombing’ range or moved outside for cleaning and maintenance. Such maintenance might include showering the plants to remove droppings, dander, stuck-on food and predatory insects such as spider mites or mealy bugs.

Most Reactions