Is it true as Timneh's mature they get nippy (bite)

OP
S

Soloist

Oct 12, 2020
It's so ironic I started this post out of curiosity to only find first hand the answer to my own question. As I started this thread, a former breeder of TAGs I know contacted me and informed me of an elderly woman who has a TAG and given her age and mental state (dementia), they (her family and friends) felt that she needed to find her pet an new home. I inquired how the bird was and offered to take the bird in to my friend. I didn't hear back from her until 3 weeks later and long story short, the 28 year TAG lives with me now.

Excited but scared of the unknown, I left the bird alone in it's cage for several hours to let it acclimatized to it's new surroundings. Thus, given the previous owner's mental state, I was told she loved her pet but the onset of dementia would sometimes produce physical harm to the bird. Subsequently, this left the bird to start plucking it's feathers on his chest and became weary of hands. Therefore, I didn't try any hand taming but to my amazement, it gladly took seeds (called it cookie) from my hand. This brought a lot of encouragement, since he would take seeds from my hand and not try to bite my hand or growl as some greys do. I thought this would be an opportune time to start hand taming (3rd day). I started to clicker train him and though he never at all try to bite me as I tried to hand tame him out of his cage, I would say cookie and offer the seed. By the 5th day, I am glad to say, he readily steps up of course with a bit of hesitation, but once he gets that first seed with the word cookie, he steps up and gives me a kiss. I was so amazed that this 28 year old TAG, was able to adapted to easily and display such good natured disposition given his recent past.

To digress, I wonder now, if birds are similar to dogs, in that, if birds can be breed with good dispositions the way dogs are. Since, I know first hand, though it may be the exception than the rule, that not all TAG bite or become aggressive once they reached maturity.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations on your new addition, and thank you for taking a re home . It sounds like your new one really likes you, and you are off to a great start, and trust building. I'm sure he loves getting attention and being active.

Be sure and keep talking and explaining things and using the same words and phrases so he gains confidence and knows what to expect from you and situations.

If there us ever a misunderstanding that results in a bite, explain it and apologize to him. Seems silly, but the seem to understand that. Say I moved my hand and accidentally bumped my green cheek conure, she's the kind s girl that would immediately bite me for this, but if I can quickly apologize before the bite she will just grumble at me, not bite, but keep her eye on me for the next few minutes to make sure I'm being good. If I do get bit, I tell her that's not nice, but I'm sorry. We both take a few moments to calm ourselves, and then carry on as if nothing happened. With parrots an occasional, and hopefully very rare, bites are going to happen, even from the most loving parrots

What's your new ones name?

OP
S

Soloist

Oct 12, 2020
They previous owner called him Pepper which I continue to use.
As for the suggestions you advised, I am adopting that same philosophy,given this will be my first rehomed parrot. Conversely, Despite his arrival to evidence of feather plucking on his chest,which I am very conscious not to reinforce. Thus, I am trying to understand his needs while also trying to understand his triggers of his negative behaviors such as him viciously banging his upper beak on his perch or his feather plucking (which luckily no evidence of feathers being plucked since arriving to me. But as his care giver, my first thought is to provide him a happy life,with a sense of a clean cage and fresh food and water daily. Then the thought of him as a pet is secondary and as I mentioned earlier, I am so lucky he was very responsive to me (less than a month), already understanding the up command and giving kisses. As I mentioned earlier I am so amazed at his gentle disposition he displays given his recent history.

Most Reactions