Is my kakariki a hybrid?

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
My kakariki was sold to me as a red fronted cinnamon, because when he was young he had red over his beak. I've had him for a year now, and that red has changed to yellow! But he still has orange cheeks, which apparently means that he is a hybrid.

I read that it is bad to have a hybrid, but it doesn't mention why. I know not many of you have kaks but does anyone know if that is bad for his health or life span? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
happycat-albums-kakariki-picture6875-img-20121226-155235.jpg

This is what he used to look like. I just thought it was funny that he used to be red-fronted.

What he looks like now:

tumblr_n11llpG72E1rt5934o4_500.jpg

Last edited:

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Kakariki.. isn't that a New Zealand parrot, and a quite endangered one? I didn't think they'd be legal to own without some sort of permit.

About hybrids: From what I've found, it's in New Zealand and it's a big no-no(stated on the licence to own and breed, too) to hybridize the birds because the intention is to let them(Orange-fronted Kakariki) naturally die out in the wild, rather than risk the health defects of several generations of hybridization/wearing out a bird they're trying to save from extinction/risk inbreeding due to the severe endangerment of the species.

Also- I must ask- how big is yours? I was under the impression they were rather large parrots(about eclectus size, or smaller) just with proportionately smaller beaks. Also, why are his toenails so overgrown? :(

Edit: you can read more here --> http://www.nzbirdz.co.nz/newzealandbirdsarticles.php?article=23 I just briefly read the articles that mentioned hybrids.

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
His nails need a manicure really badly.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kirby appears to be a yellow fronted Kakariki-http://www.parrotmag.com/breeding/321-kakariki-yellow-fronted-cyanoramphus-auriceps

He's a cute little thing. As already mentioned, he could use a little visit to the vet to get those toenails taken care of :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That does look like yellow fronted to me as well. I'm not sure if yellow fronted needs time to molt to get adult plumage. And please have his nails clipped!!!!

Sterling, it's not illegal to own them here in the us! I used to have a red fronted years ago and they're wonderful birds!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
That does look like yellow fronted to me as well. I'm not sure if yellow fronted needs time to molt to get adult plumage. And please have his nails clipped!!!!

Sterling, it's not illegal to own them here in the us! I used to have a red fronted years ago and they're wonderful birds!

That was just what I *thought* since I'd never seen one as a pet, and only read about the wild-species which is endangered. They're quite beautiful. Its sort of cool that you don't need a licence, actually, maybe one day I'll come across one. Not likely since I have yet to see one hah.
It's awesome to hear they're so great though! Seems like a really interesting pet. Lots of opportunities to teach people about them. :)

Edit: I just did a little searching and realized that what I was thinking of was, in fact, the kakapo.... :54::54::54:

My bad... :eek:

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yes the Kakapo is very much endangered! Have you seen them on tv before? A show I watched awhile back was talking about them. I find them quite interesting!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I haven't seen much of them on TV since I don't have cable, but since I spend so much time on the computer I've done a ton of reading about them. I think they're such cool ground-birds, and honestly if their population were ever to stabilize and thrive in such a way that captivity birds would be a reasonable thing, I feel like they'd make great exotic pets. They're not flighted so you wouldn't have to have a huge aviary-type setting like with some grass parakeets, just a reasonable cage/outdoor running pin type thing with rope and branch perches that would allow climbing, and tons of foraging toys!(Probably with a licence though, as their care would be really particular in comparison to other parrots..)

They're really very intricate birds, they were the muse of my high school art projects for a while. I have an acrylic painting of one somewhere. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You can watch them off YouTube! We can't be without cable here...lol....we watch way too much shows though.....

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Haha I'll definitely look into that next time I'm lounging about! sounds really cool. :)
My boyfriend and I never really watched cable, mostly cause we never had it. We don't even have netflix hah. We just watch most of our stuff online, it's mostly anime-type things anyways. (Aside from my random documentaries heh)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Netflix is wonderful!!!!! Can't be without that one either.....lol

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Sterling, you do need a permit to own them in NZ but not the US. Sucks for me!!

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Ahh yes I know his nails are so long in this picture!! His nails grow really fast, we actually clipped them a couple of months ago but they grew back quick quick quick! I got him a perch that is supposed to wear his claws down but it doesn't seem to be doing its job quick enough so we are going to clip them this weekend :)

And kakapos are so hilarious! Have you guys ever seen the kakapo head bob?

@Freespin
Wow, its illegal to own kakarikis where you live? I can't imagine why, they are such harmless little things.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You should have your kakariki checked out by a avian vet if the nails are growing that fast.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I only trim my bird's nails every 4-6 months??? Every few months is quite often.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
I only trim my bird's nails every 4-6 months??? Every few months is quite often.

Do you have a kakariki? I just read that kakarikis nails grow faster. Does anyone know if that is true?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You should have your kakariki checked out by a avian vet if the nails are growing that fast.

How fast do they usually grow?

Most parrots need their nails trimmed about 2-3 times a year and I have honestly never seen a bird who's nails grew THAT MUCH that quickly, ever. Nails that get that long so quickly should be assessed for nutritional deficiencies and/or fatty liver disease, which are the primary cause for quickly growing nails. What kind of diet is your birdie on?

Edit: It is entirely possible the species has faster growing nails than other species, and he looks otherwise pretty healthy. Definitely something to ask the vet about and get an experienced and qualified opinion on. If this was happening in an amazon or macaw or conure ext...., it would almost certainly be the result of a diet-related condition. Always better to be safe than sorry:)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts