skypie739

Jan 25, 2024
Parrots
Sky
My budgie sky's nails are getting quite long as I've noticed my hand has many scratches and he can't lay his feet flat on a flat surface.

I know how to trim a budgie's nails but unfortunately for us, sky is not hand tamed. I've been trying to get him used to hands for the past year but he still won't let one near him and I don't know how to trim his nails without catching and holding him. I don't want to lose his trust.

I've heard there are perches made for trimming nails but apparently they are useless and hurt their feet? Do you think it's worth trying it?

I can't take him to the vet as my mum puts money over our pets' health (and trust me it's impossible to change her mind) If it gets worse, I will pay for the vet with my own very little money but I'm looking for a long term solution so what should I do?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I use this perch from Superoost for my birds. I have the manzanita one in XS for my budgies and the plastic one in Small for my Quaker parrot. This type of perch is smooth on top (where the pad of the bird’s foot has contact) but rough on the sides where the toenails hit. This style keeps the bird’s feet from being injured because their actual foot is not in contact with the rough part. In my experience, as long as the bird actually uses this perch it does help keep their nails shorter. For my Quaker parrot, his nail trimming perch happens to be one of his favorite outside perches ( on the outside of his cage). For my budgies, I use a clothespin to clip fresh greens to their cage and I put the nail trimming perch by the clothespin so that they sit on it while eating greens.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.png
    IMG_1216.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 16

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
The perches are good.

Turn out the lights with just enough you can see a little. It won't fly away.

Get bird from cage, the bites don't hurt.

Clip nails.

Even better have a friend, really anyone not you, do it especially someone experienced or a vet. A vet appointment with nail trim is like 45 bucks around me.

Peachesandme

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
Peaches - Sun Conure
My budgie sky's nails are getting quite long as I've noticed my hand has many scratches and he can't lay his feet flat on a flat surface.

I know how to trim a budgie's nails but unfortunately for us, sky is not hand tamed. I've been trying to get him used to hands for the past year but he still won't let one near him and I don't know how to trim his nails without catching and holding him. I don't want to lose his trust.

I've heard there are perches made for trimming nails but apparently they are useless and hurt their feet? Do you think it's worth trying it?

I can't take him to the vet as my mum puts money over our pets' health (and trust me it's impossible to change her mind) If it gets worse, I will pay for the vet with my own very little money but I'm looking for a long term solution so what should I do?
What helps a lot with my sunny is using a nail file instead of clippers, as he’s less scared of it

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
My usual narrative...
I really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. It took a few years, but I eventually established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails in 20-plus years. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first. I LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These are smooth on top and abrasive underneath. Very easy to install/clean, too.
May take a while to get the right combinations/locations, but was worth it for me and the Rb.
Good luck!

OP
S

skypie739

Jan 25, 2024
Parrots
Sky
I use this perch from Superoost for my birds. I have the manzanita one in XS for my budgies and the plastic one in Small for my Quaker parrot. This type of perch is smooth on top (where the pad of the bird’s foot has contact) but rough on the sides where the toenails hit. This style keeps the bird’s feet from being injured because their actual foot is not in contact with the rough part. In my experience, as long as the bird actually uses this perch it does help keep their nails shorter. For my Quaker parrot, his nail trimming perch happens to be one of his favorite outside perches ( on the outside of his cage). For my budgies, I use a clothespin to clip fresh greens to their cage and I put the nail trimming perch by the clothespin so that they sit on it while eating greens.
Just placed an order 🤞

sandra1

Jan 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
sun conure
pineapple conure
I usually wrap my birds in a towel and trim them but then they are mad at me the rest of the day. I just placed an order with Amazon to try the Superroost.

Most Reactions

Latest posts