Is my new Budgie scared?

chasewallin

Jul 21, 2018
Hi! I've had my little Danny for a few days now, but there's a few things I'm concerned about. He doesn't seem to mind my hand too much. He'll either let me pet him or just move to the side a little. He'll occasionally land on my hand before he flies away, and I've pet him a couple of times on the belly. Plus he ate some millet out my hand. What concerns me is while I'm interacting with him or talking, he sometimes starts breathing a little heavier and moving his lower beak with most breaths. His tail has the slightest little twitch while he's doing it. I've also seen him snap his head and make a little sound that I can only compare to a sneeze. He only does this when I'm interacting with him, he looks rather content when I leave him alone (who wouldn't? hahaha). Is this something I should worry about? I've been playing parakeet sounds for him as I've heard it's enriching and he seems to love it, and I'd be willing to bet he's learned some new noises as I hear something new out of him everyday. Should I perhaps give him more time to warm up before I continue with his training? Thanks for reading!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! I'm glad you're reaching out.

Yes, I'm afrad it is definitey something to worry about. Those are serious signs of respiratory distrss, that could be related to... many things. Please find a certified avian vet and get your litte buddy help.
Here is a source.
http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
Regular vets often "wing it" with birds, although some are very dedicated and talented.
Good for you, for caring enough to reach out!

OP
C

chasewallin

Jul 21, 2018
Welcome! I'm glad you're reaching out.

Yes, I'm afrad it is definitey something to worry about. Those are serious signs of respiratory distrss, that could be related to... many things. Please find a certified avian vet and get your litte buddy help.
Here is a source.
http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
Regular vets often "wing it" with birds, although some are very dedicated and talented.
Good for you, for caring enough to reach out!

Thank you! I took him to the vet earlier today! They said it will be a little while but they're going to call me when he's ready.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
*applause, applause, applause*

Wonderful! That's what I call fast action!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Good move! Better safe than sorry.

I will say that sometimes certain varieties of parrots (like cockatoos) will hiss when scared, but I don't know about Budgies and the tail bobbing indicates potential breathing issues.

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
These don't sound like typical budgie fear responses to me. When budgies are a little stressed, often they do a big yawn -- almost like they're taking a big bite out of the air. The biggest sign of trust in budgies is if they're preen in your presence or hold their feathers out a little loose. It's possible he's a little nervous when you're around and it's make any medical issues worse.

Best of luck and do share the test results !

OP
C

chasewallin

Jul 21, 2018
*applause, applause, applause*

Wonderful! That's what I call fast action!

I called the store I purchased him from and they seemed just as worried as I was! They gave me loads of tips and general information about sick birds as well. I spoke with them about a vet check and they agreed it was a good idea and they're even paying vet bills to my knowledge. It just upset me thinking he might be in pain. Regardless of if he's fine and it was wasted time, at least I can know he's good and healthy. Now I'm just worried something bad could happen at the vet! Thank you all so much for the help, I'm truly grateful.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Good follow-up. I love that you treasure your budgie so much. I'm impressed with the pet shop, too, and I'm usually so cynical about them!

OP
C

chasewallin

Jul 21, 2018
They said there's nothing wrong with him, but they're going to keep him for 24 hours just to make sure he's eating and drinking properly. Great news, I'm very relieved! Thank you all for supporting Danny and I!

Most Reactions

Latest posts