Is my parrotlet's beak ok?

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
I just noticed this tonight. Jaydee's beak changes colour and it looks like it is peeling...not peeling but it looks like someone scraped his beak and left the 'flap'. I did trim his beak about a month and a half ago.
20230815_205501.jpg

Thank you in advance for all your wisdom!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Some birds have "bifurcated beaks" which means two layers and one isn't so much dependent on the other. The picture is so close and I can''t really nail down the species but look up your bird on the googles and Birfurcated beak. If it has one your fine. It's just changing at a different rate.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Some birds have "bifurcated beaks" which means two layers and one isn't so much dependent on the other. The picture is so close and I can''t really nail down the species but look up your bird on the googles and Birfurcated beak. If it has one your fine. It's just changing at a different rate.
That's one big beak on such a cute little birdie! I hope he's gentle with you. 😬

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Thank you for your help. He is a parrotlet. I will look it up!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That has all the appears of a double layered bill and they can drive one nuts as they can appear as being serious damaged when they are simply wearing off the outer layer.

It is likely that he is crewing on the cage bars and breaking bits off. May want to conceder providing a softer wood type for him to chew on. Pine molding lumber is a good choice. If you can cause a dent using your finger nail it will be a good choice. Look for door /window spacer wood, commonly sold in packets at your BigBox store. They are a wedge shape and that allows it to be from very soft to a bit tougher.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Hello! What a cutie-pie you have there. In addition to Mr. Boats' suggestions above, I've found that Bumble really goes to town chewing on softer woods. She loves balsa and sola and gives a lot more attention to toys made from those woods. Your mileage may vary, of course!

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
That has all the appears of a double layered bill and they can drive one nuts as they can appear as being serious damaged when they are simply wearing off the outer layer.

It is likely that he is crewing on the cage bars and breaking bits off. May want to conceder providing a softer wood type for him to chew on. Pine molding lumber is a good choice. If you can cause a dent using your finger nail it will be a good choice. Look for door /window spacer wood, commonly sold in packets at your BigBox store. They are a wedge shape and that allows it to be from very soft to a bit tougher.
Thank you for the info. I will look into that.

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Hello! What a cutie-pie you have there. In addition to Mr. Boats' suggestions above, I've found that Bumble really goes to town chewing on softer woods. She loves balsa and sola and gives a lot more attention to toys made from those woods. Your mileage may vary, of course!
Thank you! He is a cutie! I have seen toys made with balsa so I'll get some of those!

Most Reactions

Latest posts