Need help to understand

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
Hi. I have two parakeets. One is 1 yr old and another is 5 months. Bought them when they were babies at petco store. They r wonderful. Last week I bought another bird from petsmart and it is called fancy conure. ( never heard of fancy term). I looked it up and pIcture it is black top conure with green body. He or she ( havenā€™t figure out a name yet ). He is 7 mths old when I got him. He is very much constantly biting my hands only. Why ??? He is reall

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new baby!

Baby birds are naturally curious and use their beaks to explore new things. At 7 months old he is likely just exploring and doesnā€™t understand what pressure of beaking is acceptable without causing discomfort. Search ā€œbite pressure trainingā€ on the forum and check out this thread to learn more about bite pressure training.

OP
L

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new baby!

Baby birds are naturally curious and use their beaks to explore new things. At 7 months old he is likely just exploring and doesnā€™t understand what pressure of beaking is acceptable without causing discomfort. Search ā€œbite pressure trainingā€ on the forum and check out this thread to learn more about bite pressure training.

Hi. I did tried shushing or saying ah ah when he (Bandit) started to bite hard ( he usually go to same area in between thumb and finger webbed part). It seems to work , He started to toned it down like less pressure biting ( lighter ) that was during daytime and that nite when I took him out. He just went in biting mode very hard and it is painful. He clamps down so hard and wouldnā€™t let go. I had to pry his beak open up to free my hand ! He kept go at it again and again. I donā€™t understand it ! I feel so sad by it. I do have 2 parakeets and they r very sweet. I wouldnā€™t put them together during out of cage exercise. I donā€™t trust him yet. They havenā€™t see each other yet.

Attachments

• 9881EFFD-5771-41AA-9D4B-7B47D972ED87.jpeg
    9881EFFD-5771-41AA-9D4B-7B47D972ED87.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 7

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hi. I did tried shushing or saying ah ah when he (Bandit) started to bite hard ( he usually go to same area in between thumb and finger webbed part). It seems to work , He started to toned it down like less pressure biting ( lighter ) that was during daytime and that nite when I took him out. He just went in biting mode very hard and it is painful. He clamps down so hard and wouldnā€™t let go. I had to pry his beak open up to free my hand ! He kept go at it again and again. I donā€™t understand it ! I feel so sad by it. I do have 2 parakeets and they r very sweet. I wouldnā€™t put them together during out of cage exercise. I donā€™t trust him yet. They havenā€™t see each other yet.

Ah yes, the ever popular skin between the thumb and pointer finger. Birds often love to explore that spot! And yes indeed it can hurt! It sounds like Bandit was responding well to the verbal cues to be gentle so Iā€™d continue doing that. It will take time and consistency to see results. Since you said it was working during the day, Iā€™d still consider that positive progress. You can also try the shunning method, putting him down on a neutral surface and turn your back to him for one minute. Easier to use that method with a clipped bird though.

When he was biting hard at night - can you think of anything that triggered it? Each time we get a hard or latched-on bite itā€™s important to stop and think about the circumstances before the bite happened. Did something scare him? Did you pick up a new object he didnā€™t like? Was there a change in routine? Did you touch or grab him in a way he didnā€™t like? Even if you canā€™t find the trigger in a particular situation, itā€™s a good habit to build. By thinking about the events before a bite I discovered my Conure has a particular dislike for me opening prescription medicine bottles :cautious: Itā€™s annoying but at least I know what to look out for.

Even though they can be very painful itā€™s important to try not to take bites too personally and not to hold a grudge. A bite is often not personal from the bird but instead is a reaction to a situation whether itā€™s fear, curiosity, etc. Sometimes this can be hard to remember after receiving a really painful bite!

Good idea to keep Bandit separated from the other birds until he settles in more.

OP
L

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
Ah yes, the ever popular skin between the thumb and pointer finger. Birds often love to explore that spot! And yes indeed it can hurt! It sounds like Bandit was responding well to the verbal cues to be gentle so Iā€™d continue doing that. It will take time and consistency to see results. Since you said it was working during the day, Iā€™d still consider that positive progress. You can also try the shunning method, putting him down on a neutral surface and turn your back to him for one minute. Easier to use that method with a clipped bird though.

When he was biting hard at night - can you think of anything that triggered it? Each time we get a hard or latched-on bite itā€™s important to stop and think about the circumstances before the bite happened. Did something scare him? Did you pick up a new object he didnā€™t like? Was there a change in routine? Did you touch or grab him in a way he didnā€™t like? Even if you canā€™t find the trigger in a particular situation, itā€™s a good habit to build. By thinking about the events before a bite I discovered my Conure has a particular dislike for me opening prescription medicine bottles :cautious: Itā€™s annoying but at least I know what to look out for.

Even though they can be very painful itā€™s important to try not to take bites too personally and not to hold a grudge. A bite is often not personal from the bird but instead is a reaction to a situation whether itā€™s fear, curiosity, etc. Sometimes this can be hard to remember after receiving a really painful bite!

Good idea to keep Bandit separated from the other birds until he settles in more.
Yeah. He kept going at it. He wouldnā€™t stop and I thought that was strange. I had my tv on and was laying down on couch and when I opened the cage. He immediately jumped on my finger I donā€™t really donā€™t know what it could be. Iā€™m curious how many hours can conure be out of cage ? He doesnā€™t like going back in cage at all.

On my bird receipt petsmart store, it was saying about quarantine if u have other birds at home. How long ? I never heard of that before

Most Reactions

Latest posts