Is night light too bright?

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
My U2 is only a little only over 1 year. When I got her she was very skittish and afraid of everything even her own wings. They would startle her and she would flip out and puff up. It was kinda cute and funny. Anyway I cover her large cage at night with a fleece cover I made so there would be no choking hazard and she has a very bright night light, so that although she is covered and its dark in her cage she can still see so she doesn't fall, and so her toys don't scare her. I also wanted to be sure she could find her way to food and water then back the roosting perch. The problem is I have slept in this room on and off for 3 to 4 nights. She moves around a lot!! I usually give up being in there feeling like I'm disturbing her and just go back to my room with the snoring hubby lol. Do you think the light is to bright keeping her up? Or could it be just on these occasions she hears me in there and is disturbed by me?

BirdBrains2233

Apr 16, 2013
Media
Upstate South Carolina
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Powder Blue Quaker and a Moluccan Too!
Honestly, that is very hard to determine. My M2 sleeps in my room with me, but I leave him uncovered and only have a small lava lamp in the corner for a little bit of light. Most nights he will go to sleep and I wont hear a peep from him until I get out of bed in the morning, other nights he is just restless and plays until he passes out. I usually know how good is sleep was by the attitude I get from him the next day. If he is tired... I cant even get him to step up and come out of his cage. If he slept well, he is hanging upside down from the door he second I stand up out of bed.

The only thing I can suggest is to put something in front of the night light to dim it down a bit and see if that changes anything. If her attitude improves then stick with that, if not, try making it brighter. Each companion will eventually give you a sign of what they like / dont like.
Took me 2 months to figure out that my Quaker was unhappy if I shut the television off at night. After a couple days of finally leaving it on all night for him, his attitude towards things in general improved. He was learning tricks and words faster, his eating habits improved, and he stopped his aggression towards my other companions. I would assume he just did not sleep well unless he had that bit of light and noise in the background.

Experiment a little and see what happens, really about the only advice I could give you!
GL, and let us know how things turn out.

Marcy

Oct 22, 2012
USA- MD/PA Border
Parrots
Major Mitchell's Cockatoo, "Bella"; Spectacled Amazon,"Noah"; Goffin's Cockatoo, �Lex"; Timneh African Grey, "Tootsie"; Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure, "Cassia"!
I have a G2 & MM2 & after studying their sleep behaviors found they both need something different. My G2 needs total darkness for 12-14hrs or he's agitated the next day! Though my MM2 needs a very faint night light or she becomes afraid. If it's too much light she has issues the next day, so it must be faint. So indeed each r really different! I've always noticed with mine, too much light doesn't give them the darkness they need for 12hrs! I know u will figure out how much light ur baby needs! Plz let us know if u have any more questions or problems regarding!! :)

~Marcy
Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 via Tapatalk.

Marcy

Oct 22, 2012
USA- MD/PA Border
Parrots
Major Mitchell's Cockatoo, "Bella"; Spectacled Amazon,"Noah"; Goffin's Cockatoo, �Lex"; Timneh African Grey, "Tootsie"; Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure, "Cassia"!
Also, one idea I forgot to mention-for my G2 that needs total darkness, I purchased blackout material from Joann fabrics to fully cover his cage! It improved his sleeping amazingly!! :)

~Marcy
Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 via Tapatalk.

OP
Kimmied

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
Thank you this is all helping a lot. 😃

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I've noticed that if I put the cage cover on Chili's cage (RB2) I think he sleeps better, because if it's off then there's the light from a nearby clock that's pretty bright- which then he can see us sneaking around in darkness if we get up at night and it scares him.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF the night light is too bright, get s table lamp with shades and use dim fluorescent light bulb. IF it's still too bright, I've had sheer over the lamp to dim it some more.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Alice seems to be better off in a dark room but she generally sits on a perch at the front of the cage when I shut the door, then needs to find her way back to the roost perch at the top of the cage before she goes to sleep. She'll never settle on the roost perch while I'm still in the room so I make sure the screen of my computer is on when I close up the living room in the evening - that way there's dim light in the room for 10 min after bed time, then the screen goes black and the room is properly dark..

OP
Kimmied

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I think I will take out the brighter of the two night lights. I'll let you know. :). Thanks everyone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts